AFTER VSG SURGERY

Miluska32
on 9/20/11 3:34 am - NJ

Hello All,
I am new to this site and have a question for anyone who has had this surgery.
I would like to know how long before you can preform your regular duties.
I am a quick healer and would like to take a day or two to recover and go back to work ASAP!  I must admit to all here where no one knows me!!(LOL)
 I do not plan on telling anyone I am having weight loss surgery for fear of being judged as lazy!!

Thanks in advance for you input!!

Gi Gi
on 9/20/11 5:48 am - Norfolk, VA
I took off for over a month- because I wasn't sure how I'd be feeling and wanted time to get used to
all of the changes in my life due to this surgery but I know plenty of people who seem to have been fine returning to week on the 2- 3 week line- if their post op appointment was fine and if they don't do heavy lifting or moving around. Maybe ask your Surgeon?
(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 5:57 am
Have you ever had major abdominal surgery before?

No, there's no way I would have been able to return to any normalcy in a matter of a few days.. Keep in mind, yes- there are 5 small holes on the outside, but this is MAJOR surgery. You will be sore, your muscles will hurt, you will likely be weak at some point (some feel it right away, some hit it at a week out..) It took me a full two weeks to start feeling good consistently, and months to get my energy back up to where it was pre-op. 

Also - be aware, though I don't know your starting weight etc.. you will drop weight fast (generally) and it will become noticeable.. people will wonder. The tell or not to tell is on you, but for most, either it will eventually be suspected, or they may very well start to inquire about your general health!

Kayla M.
on 9/20/11 6:01 am
I know of a couple of people who were able to go back about 1 week out, especially if they had a desk job that didn't involve any lifting.
I just had my surgery a week ago and I don't think I could make it a whole work day yet. I'm contemplating a nap right now actually. My surgery was open though instead of lap.
I'd say aim to take at least 10 day off of work, maybe 2 weeks.
sa82028
on 9/20/11 10:45 am - Canada
I had VSG five days ago, and I work a desk job, but I think I would have been very uncomfortable if I had to spend the day at work today.  In fact, today was probably my worst day for pain/discomfort.  However, to be fair, I spent all day yesterday in airports and planes travelling back to Canada from Mexico so that's probably why I'm sore.  I've heard of people going back to work within a few days, but I wouldn't reccommend it.  However, if you don't want people to know what you're doing, you could do what I did - I booked 3 weeks vacation and told everyone I was going to Mexico.  I just didn't tell them I was going to Mexico for surgery - they all think I'm on vacation. 
Keep in mind too, when you get back to work - I don't know what your office is like, but at my work I had people asking me every day why I wasn't going to lunch, why I wasn't joining everyone for the free lunch in the cafeteria, etc.  I held up my protein shake, and told them I'm on a high-protein, low-carb diet, so all I'm having for lunch is a protein shake.  That should also help delay some of the weight loss questions when I get back, because I've planted in everyone's mind that I'm on a diet.
Hope that helps!
Shannon
goclint
on 9/20/11 1:51 pm - TX
Let me preface this by saying that I am extremely stubborn, but I had my surgery on a Tuesday, got out of the hospital on Thursday and was back at work on Friday. It was NOT easy, but I did it. In a way, I think that it helped me recover, just by getting right back on the horse, so to speak.

Also, I told only my immediate family members and one friend befor the surgery. Plenty of people have plenty of opinions. This is your decision and you shouldn't let anyone else influence it. No one truly knows your situation and struggle but you.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth. (about one cent)
J.e.t.
on 9/20/11 2:09 pm
 I'm typically a fast healer also.  I wanted to get right back to work because I want to use my time off for vacations, not use it up for sick time!  

So, here was my timeline:  Surgery Thursday mid-day, home Friday mid-day, home Sat and Sun, and also Monday, as it was Labor Day.  I had no problem going back to work at 5 days post op, and if it hadn't been a holiday, I think I could have gone back on Monday.

I have a desk job with my own office, refrigerator, bathroom, couch, etc., so if I had needed to I could have laid down.  I didn't need to, however.  

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired, which my surgeon thought could have made my recovery a little more painful, but if that was the case I didn't notice it.

Everyone is different, though, and if you are experiencing nausea or difficulty getting in liquids, I think it would be really difficult to be back to work so quickly.  I was lucky I didn't have that.

Best of luck!
HW 263, 3lbs lost prior to surgery,  weight loss ticker is since surgery.

injeneral
on 9/21/11 4:26 am
I have a mostly-desk job (assistant editor) and was back at work exactly 1 week post-op. If I did anything more active, I probably would have taken another week. I was in the hospital for 2 nights (and those were very much needed) and chair-bound at home for the rest of the time leading up to when I went back to work. I got up and walked frequently, but there was no way I had the energy or stamina to do anything beyond light walking that first week. Not even shopping!

I think you should give yourself at least a week, depending on what you do at work. at least 2 if it's anything beyond a desk job.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

Miluska32
on 9/22/11 4:23 am - NJ
Thanks so much everyone for your feedback! I went to the Dr. today to discuss having surgery and about getting back to work and he told me as you all did (Everyone heals differently).  Well some background on me is I did have a gall bladder removel surgery 10 years ago and I did not even stay one night in the hospital because I got up and walked around the same day of surgery but that was also because I had a newborn at home and did not want to be apart one night from him!
I have a desk job and do absolutely no heavy lifting so I am hoping just to take off a week of work and save my days for actual vacation time!!! lol

I got a tentative surgery date of 11/21!!! Woo Hoo!!! I hope it becomes a actual date once the insurance approves!!! Keeping my fingers crossed

Thanks Again Everyone!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views