Pre-Op question about BC pills and dr's office is not helping me.

sourcherriex
on 9/29/11 4:32 am - CA
 Okay so I know this question has been asked before. But I see mixed responses so maybe I can find someone who knows the answer about my particular medication.

I'm on my 2 week pre-op diet and my instructions say to stop all vitamins and anti-inflammatories14 days pre-op. For all other medications ask my PCP. Ok well I've called my pcp's office FOUR times yesterday and left messages and they've called back ONCE saying "I don't know." How do they not know if I need to stop taking pills?! So I called my surgeons office yesterday too and told them my pcp's office doesn't know and they said they would get back to me - well they didn't! I NEED to know whether I need to stop taking these pills. I see some posts that say people had to stop taking them a whole month in advance! Some people say they never had to stop taking them at all... If I have to stop taking these at 2 weeks that day is TODAY. I am afraid to stop taking them because the second I do I am going to just have a constant period.

I don't want to screw up my surgery. Any help would be appreciated. My medication is Lo-Ovral 28 (generic) aka Lo-Ogestrel 28 (brand). 

I also need to know about my PPI and surprisingly no one seems to know if I should stop taking that either. I'm so frustrated!!

Thank you in advance. Sorry for my crappy tone but I am just so frustrated that not one doctor seems to know the answer to this or is just too busy to return my calls and emails.
 ~Marisa~

edelu
on 9/29/11 4:44 am - los angeles, CA
My instructions were to stop taking my bc pill (same as yours as it turns) for 2 weeks before and i month after surgery. continuing to take the pill increases the risk of blood clots. good luck
ashwarren
on 9/29/11 5:18 am
I was able to continue ALL Rx's INCLUDING BC up to morning of surgery.  Had BC switched to a chewable until I was able to swallow pills again after surgery.  No issues! 
  HW: 240 SW: 227       
AnastasiaBeaverhausn
on 9/29/11 8:43 am
I could take them up to the morning of surgery. I was told I could take them after but I think that is what gave me blood clots.
HW - 275  SW- 226  GW-150  

Hislady
on 9/29/11 10:28 am - Vancouver, WA
They can cause clots so I would keep bugging the surgeon about whether to take them. If it will cause bleeding like you say he may want you to stay on them and use a blood thinner for awhile before and after surgery. Get tough with them and tell them you have to know because your surgery is soon and you sitution is a bit unusual.
MrsClaus09
on 9/29/11 9:36 pm
My medical team wanted me off BCP for 6 months prior to surgery. 
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
cozmo98
on 9/30/11 2:20 pm - GA
I saw a post on here about stopping birth control 2 weeks before surgery and I freaked and called my doctor because I was worried. He told me that is not true and to continue taking all medicine. I was allowed to take my metformin and other meds up until the night before surgery (just no anti-inflammatories). Each surgeon has different prefernces so its really up to your surgeon but you should be ok if you continue your BC, I did. Good Luck!
sourcherriex
on 9/30/11 3:55 pm - CA
 Thanks all for the replies. My surgeon's office and PCP's office have been back/forth over this issue for 3 days and they have finally come to a decision that I should stay on it. lol. I thought about the blood clots thing too but my pcp was totally worried about my cycle. It's taken over 5 years and a lot of meds to get it on an actual schedule. I guess it all boils down to preference. My surgeon just said stay on it from the get-go but the blood clots thing threw everybody off.

Oh well, it's solved now. Thanks again for all the responses!
 ~Marisa~

Most Active