How do you handle unexpected delays/food emergencies?

fypcdqt
on 10/5/11 4:11 am - Cumming, GA
I had to go to Lowe's today during my lunch break, but since I had my protein shake at 7 and scrambled egg at work (vendors bring in breakfast on Wednesdays for a few weeks in the fall), I thought I would be fine to eat lunch after my trip to Lowe's.  It took me longer than expected, and as I was pulling into Taco Bell, I started getting really shaky.  I ordered for my coworkers and me (sharing a taco salad) and decided to add a beefy bean burrito so I could have a bite or two before driving the short distance to my office (maybe a mile?).  Silly brain of mine thought I was still pre-op and I ate 4 or 5 bites back to back while driving down the road until my new stomach started screaming in protest.  I stopped eating and was quickly in my parking spot, feeling hot and ready to throw up.  Guess my silly brain will remember this horrible feeling before I ever do that again!

I guess I have 2 questions - 1) what can you do to feel better after eating too fast?  I have been sitting still and it's getting better, but dang my chest feels like it's on fire and I still feel light headed. 2) what do you keep with you or in your car for emergencies so you don't get to the point of panic?

The only restriction diet wise that I'm one from the surgeon is all my foods have to be moist.  And then I'm allergic to fish, shellfish, sea salt and anything from the ocean.

Any suggestions on relief and preparing for future situations would be very welcome!

katier825
on 10/5/11 4:20 am
I don't know if there is anything to make you feel better after eating too fast. I still do it on a rare occasion. Whatever you do, don't try to drink...that will be worse!

You might keep a snack, like protein bar and baggie in your purse. Take a couple of bites if you need to and bag the rest for another time.
nilesmama08
on 10/5/11 4:37 am - Atlanta , GA
Hello there!

I do not have any advice. I am saying hello, lol. I vomited on a few occasions due to eating fast and attempting to finish my ozs when full. I cannot finish 1 oz with some foods, lol. I hope you find an answer.

Stephanie
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
fypcdqt
on 10/5/11 5:05 am - Cumming, GA
Hi Stephanie!

How are you recovering? 

Amy
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 4:41 am
For feeling better.. wait it out, walk around.. do not drink anything!

I never leave home w/o one of these in the bottom of my purse- Ostrim meat stick (beef and ostrich- natural flavor, yummy), instant meal if needed: 

fypcdqt
on 10/5/11 5:07 am - Cumming, GA
I haven't seen these before - do you buy them in a store or is it easier to find them online?  

Thanks for the tip!

Amy
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 5:10 am
I get them from my fav supplement shop- Netrition.com. Amazon has them too- I like the natural flavor - reminds me of a Slim Jim, but not greasy! I also like the Oh Yeah protein wafers- in Peanut Butter Cup flavor- 8g of carbs for two, but I generally only eat 1 at a time.. Nice treat, and good snacky stuff to keep in your purse.. careful though, the chocolate coating on them melts really easy!
emelar
on 10/5/11 4:42 am - TX
While you're still limited to "moist," I'll second the protein bar.  Or keep a package of chicken and some crackers in the car.  It comes in vacuum sealed packages and travels well.  Or you can get those little lunch kits with the chicken and crackers.

Once you're off the "moist" limitation, keep a 100 calorie bag of beef jerky handy.  Or some dry roasted edamame.  Or peanut butter.  Or cheese chips (I like "Just the Cheese" from Amazon).  But there was nothing wrong with the beef/bean burrito.  You just ate too much, too fast!

The only thing I've done when I feel overfull is take a brisk walk.  It seems to help move the food down and along.  Hope you feel better!
edelu
on 10/5/11 4:47 am - los angeles, CA
I've only had it happen once and i handled it badly.  i figured i could get home and eat there since i wasn't seeing anything that would be a good choice also i was really early out and just not ready to eat something on the fly that might not agree with me in public.  Bad idea.  I got weak and dizzy and had to pull the car over. Seriously lost control.  since then i keep a couple of good low carb protein bars in my purse or in the car.  I've noticed those that like jerky have it around.  Anything that can be eaten on the fly and has a long sell by date is good.  but i guess the main thing is be prepared. As for eating fast this is a very difficult one or me and i don't really understand it.  I inhale food now but i grew up being a very slow eater (cultural, but clearly moving here has acclimatised me) and i had a band for 2 years and had to eat slow.  No matter how i try to slow myself down i cannot.  Still trying to figure that out.  what i do know is that I'm very hungry before each meal so I'm thinking that I'm hurrying toward that full feeling.  Very annoying. 
Birdie55
on 10/5/11 5:00 am
To answer your first question, the only thing that works if you eat too fast or too much is to make yourself throw it up.  Otherwise you might be miserable for up to an hour.  While that isn't the best thing to do, it works.  I've had to do it twice.  

I always keep a protein bar in my purse.  Sometimes it might be there for a few weeks, sometimes a day or two.  I used to only be able to eat 1/2 of a bar at a time, but I always kept one with me.  I still do.  

If I'm going out for a short while, I take a string cheese.  Always a water bottle too.  

Eventually you will be used to your new stomach and eating habits and over time you'll be able to eat more too.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views