Weakness

Carpe_Diem
on 10/5/11 10:45 am - Mississauga, Canada
I'm 10 days post op and, while I find the process difficult, I feel OK.  No nausea and the weight is coming off.  The protein drinks are getting harder to get down but the main thing is that I'm so weak.  I can hardly drag myself around the house.  Small errands or short walks make me head straight to bed for a nap.  Is this normal?  Does it last long?  Cheers!
                                     GRAVITY SUCKS  
          LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY !     
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 10:50 am
Normal. For me, I felt great for the first 7 days, then got really weak.. really weak. I very slowly recuperated from this feeling over a few weeks time.

Up till about the 4mo mark I still didn't have any stamina, and would occasionally feel puny. Now I'm better than I was pre-op, but it was a push to get here.. that's my exp. Some bounce back faster, some slower. I'm in the slower camp, but I was in poor shape going into this, I'm sure that had quite a bit to do with how I recovered as well.
tristak
on 10/5/11 10:51 am
This is very normal.  Keep in mind you are consuming maybe 500 calories per day.  And this is major surgery so you are very much still in recovery.  I remember going to a store about 10 days post-op and I was holding maybe 4 things while I waited in line and I was just exhausted.  Got to the cashier and dropped it all like it weight 20lbs.  Be patient and give yourself time...

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

WhoseU
on 10/5/11 10:58 am - San Diego, CA
It's completely normal.  I was very weak for the first 2-3 weeks after surgery.  I'm not a napper kind of person, but I was taking a nap almost everyday and still tired and fatigued.  My surgeon told me it was a combination of the anesthesia getting out of my system and also my body adjusting to only consuming 500-600 calories a day.  It did pass and I got back to feeling completely normal after a few weeks.  Good Luck!
Paige V.
on 10/5/11 11:17 am - Gainesville, FL
yes, completely...

finally at about the 2 week mark exactly I started feeling better

visit my blog at www.thenursemommy.com!
start weight-288 pre-op -5lbs month 1-23lbs month2-14lbs month 3-minus 13lbs month4-minus 12lbs month5-13lbs month 6-8lbs   GOAL-21months out after having a post-WLS baby!

HockeyChuck28
on 10/5/11 11:37 am - Vancouver, WA
De ja vu!

This is the way it was for me.  It is normal. Your body has been through a lot and it needs time to recover. The thing to remember is to follow the plan and sip sip sip, and walk when you can. I went back to work after 3 weeks and still felt tired from time to time.  Good Luck and Welcome to the loser's bench.

Cheers,

Chuck

changeiscomingsoon
on 10/5/11 1:01 pm
You are right on track after having **MAJOR** surgery. It maybe just a few small incisions but you have had a large portion of your stomach removed. There are many more days of rest you will need. Rest often and SIP, SIP, SIP. Room temperature liquids are still easier for me to drink even now.
Just do what you can. Rest is the best thing next to sipping.

You will have many more months and years of more energy than you will believe possible. Treat yourself right in the beginning to wind up with another awesome beginning to your healthier life.
I am so excited for you!

I am nearly at my YEAR anniversary and I have lost 106 pounds.
I am stronger and healthier than I have ever been in my WHOLE life.
I could hardly imagine this.
You will do the same and better I am sure
Congratulations!!

Carpe_Diem
on 10/5/11 1:48 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Thanks.  You have the same doctor and about the same starting weight and goal.  I want to follow your posts.  Can you accept my friend request on your Friends page?  Cheers,  Stewart
                                     GRAVITY SUCKS  
          LEAD, FOLLOW, or GET OUT OF THE WAY !     
kimberleyann
on 10/5/11 10:15 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
I agree with the other posters, definitely normal to be tired at this stage.  After to my other 2 major surgeries, first week I felt great (probably did too much because I felt so good) then at the 8-10 day mark BOOM, get me a bed because I was burnt out, could barely do a thing. It didn't last long but it was really noticeable.   I have my VSG surgery in 5 days and expect to feel same type of thing.  Rock that Sleeve.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views