Advice on drinking water please!

Happy Camper
on 10/21/11 4:26 am
 I'm on day three and am still having a hard time drinking water without sucking in air too.  Its making it hard to get my water in.

Any advice on drinking without taking too much air? 

Thank you!

Mom4Jazz
on 10/21/11 4:32 am
Are you using a straw? If so, try not using a straw. Also, try cool but not cold water.

I had to drink crystal light - I cannot explain why, but I can drink more of that than I can water. Sounds illogical to me as well, but it is so.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 4:41 am - WV
I HAVE to have flavor packets or I get too much air. Doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe it changes the consistency and goes down differently? No idea. The first two weeks after surgery, I paced the house as I drank my water or ate. It was the only way to get anything in my stomach without getting air in it. Good luck!
Happy Camper
on 10/21/11 4:45 am
 Thank u!  No I haven't used a straw. I've been drinking some of my water with mio flavoring. It's good but I'm still getting air pockets under my sternum.  I'll keep working on it.  Thank u!

ddedmon
on 10/21/11 4:47 am - FL
 I had a little of that right after surgery. Try taking smaller sips and drinking more slowly. That did it for me. 

Beezer2010
on 10/21/11 9:28 am
What does air in the stomach feel like? I am 4 days out and started drinking water last night and ever since then I have been having alot of discomfort in the sernum areas as well. But I wan****er! 
slimpickins5280
on 10/21/11 4:55 am - CO
I had my surgery on the same day as you, so I'm still new at this. But, I managed to get at least 64 oz of liquids since the day after surgery.

Drinking hot tea (caffeine free)has worked well for me because I tend to sip hot things. I could do Crystal Lite before surgery but haven't been able to tolerate it since. I'm a gulper by nature so I was really worried about the sipping. I also find that if I take a normal amount of liquids in my mouth and then swallow it in parts, I don't get a lot of air.

I also eat alot of jello right now because my Doc says it counts toward my liquids - for now. Once I start the mushies it won't count anymore. Right now all liquids count toward my liquid intake per my Doc, including protein shakes, but that ends at the mushies stage as well.

Good luck! Ask your Doc what counts towards liquids for now.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 9:39 am
Ditto the warm/hot drinks. I also have to add flavor to my water. It seems odd but I get acid reflux with plain cold water. I'm sure it gore away in time!
Happy Camper
on 10/21/11 4:57 am
 That's good because I was able to sip two protein drinks yesterday. My mouth is just soo dry tho!

slimpickins5280
on 10/21/11 5:08 am - CO
Are you on anti-nauseia meds? They really dry out your mouth. They dried out my eyes too.

It's really hard to get the liquids in while on it. I got rid of my nauseia patch yesterday when I got home and it's been MUCH easier to get the liquids in.

Hot tea helps with the cotton mouth also. I think I drank 7 cups of hot tea yesterday.

Also make sure you are walking helps to keep the air and gases moving along.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active