Revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve

rnstudent2012
on 10/29/11 11:22 am
Hello Everyone!
   So I've finally made the decision to revise my band and get the gastric sleeve. Surgery date is set for Dec 14th with Dr. Mario Almanza in Tijuana. I'm wondering if any of you have had this procedure done with Dr. Alvarez, and if so how was your experience?? I'm 25 years old and I haven't had children yet; I'm doing this surgery because I want to be healthy before I start to have children - and have a healthy pregnancy. My husband is incredibly nervous - which is starting to rub off on me!
   How was the facility? I've heard that it's a surgical clinic rather than a hospital and am just wondering what it's like. Also, how was your treatment during your stay??
   I was banded in June 2006 and have had the excessive vomiting, heart burn, things getting "stuck", and my por****ured in 2008 so I had to go back to Mexico for a new port placement. I finally got fed up with it and had my band emptied but I'm still suffering from heartburn and things getting "stuck" as well as having put all of my lost weight back on - which is why I"ve finally made up my mind to have the revision! 

If you have any information regarding your experience it would be so greatly appreciated!! Thanks! :)
~*Lisa*~    
shoop
on 10/29/11 12:51 pm
 im sorry i do not know much about the facility or doc...however i am revising from the band as well due to some complications..my tube from my port to the band seperated in the middle of the tube..it has caused great pain so i understand getting fed up.. my sleeve date is next tues. I as well have gained some of my weight back. ..i will def keep you posted on how the revision goes if you would like
rnstudent2012
on 10/29/11 1:32 pm
 It's so good to know others have been going through what I am! Definitely keep me posted on how things go next week! Good luck - things will go great :)
joeswife
on 10/29/11 1:19 pm - CA
I don;t have any info on the facility or doctor, however I was a revision from band to sleeve and monday will be 4 weeks since surgery. I can't believe 4 weeks! It has just gone by so fast and I can tell you it's the best thing I have done for myself. I stayed on liquids 2 weeks and then full liquids (protein drink) another 2 weeks to let my tummy heal. As I am sure you know, going from band to sleeve we are at a higher risk for leaks. So this was the reason for fluids so long. My tummy needed to heal and I wanted to let it.

I am so happy to be rid of the band and I feel fantastic! I am so happy I had this done, I only wi**** had been my first operation and no band. But thankful for the opportunity to be sleeved. I know you are worried, I was too, this is only normal. So tell yourself I am NORMAL! Follow your doctors plan, rest, sip, walk and rest. Those are the keys to recovery.  Good luck on your journey, you will do so well! Looking forward to seeing you on the losers bench!

Beyoncewantabe
on 10/31/11 11:58 am - Clinton, MS
I am very intertested in the gatric sleeve. The only problem, I am scared to get my stomach cut. My question for you..How long is you recovery?
USAF Wife
on 10/29/11 1:57 pm
Which surgeon are you using Alvarez or Almanza??? You've got both of their names listed.

Check out the Mexico forum on here for details on both surgeons. There's plenty of info out there on them. Haven't read about major complications out of Alvarez, can't say the same about Almanza, and it's all over on the Mexico forum. You'll get mixed reviews, but there is a lot on Almanza on the Mexico forum.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

rnstudent2012
on 10/29/11 2:00 pm

Whoops! Just saw that I had Alvarez in there when I meant Almanza! Dr. Mario Almanza is who will be doing my revision!
~*Lisa*~    
soulsister
on 10/30/11 3:21 am - NY
Be sure to thoroughly research Almanza. I have read not such great experiences from the boards. I know he is cheaper but this is your health.
Have you researched dr. Kelly? He is reasonably priced and very good.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 109 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views