Waking after surgery

socialite
on 10/30/11 11:31 am - TX
i woke up and didnt  say anything. i was concentrating on the person next to me. im not sure what he was doing, i was trying to figure out if he was the same person who had started my iv in pre op. (i found out later he wasnt, the dudes look similar but anyways) he looks up and says, hey youre out of surgery and were going to move you to your room. i wasnt feeling sick or anything really. and about 30 minutes after i got to go to my room. i went to the restroom on my own and started walking.

i got a bit nauseous later but they gave me some meds. i felt more comfortable out of bed and walking. they wanted us to walked every two hours and i always wanted to walk like every hour. i cant stress enough that i felt so much better, almost normal while i was up and about.

as for the boredom. when you get your meds your gonna sleep, for the times that your up, i was kept entertained with the tv, visitors, and my iphone. i wasnt bad. i was there 3 days and when i got home into my bed, well i was wishing i would have stayed one more day.

i wish you the best of luck and that you feel as awesome as i do. i only regret not doing this sooner

ChristineTX1970
on 10/30/11 2:16 pm - TX
If you know you have a problem with nausea and pain medications, I would ask that they please give you anti-nausea meds (phenergan, Zofran, etc ) prior to administering the pain medication.

When I woke from surgery I had quite a bit of sub-sternal pain and began to hit the pain pump right away. I was pretty out of it the entire first day - I really don't remember much. I do know that I got out of bed and sat in the chair early on and almost threw up. Each day after that was better. I took my last dose from the pain pump the next mooring and switched to a non-narcotic pain med (toradol). It did a great job for me. I stayed 2 nights in the hospital and was released by noon on the 3rd day. Tomorrow will be a week since my surgery

MsBabzi
on 10/31/11 3:48 am - Norwalk, CT

My surgery was at 9:30am.  I was in recovery room in little over 2 hrs.  I woke with the WORSE shoulder pain and nausea.  Doc had warned me of both, but I still have not remembered to ask him why the shoulder pain.  Anyway, they gave me meds for both and kept me in recovery until the pain subsided.  I was in my room by 4 pm.  I wasn't up and around walking til the next morning cause I also had a hernea fixed, which I had no idea I had. LOL  So... I walked the halls til the other patients knew my name or commented with "here she comes again".  Doc wanted to keep me one more night cause I still had pain in my shoulder and a bubble under my sturnum that wouldn't not go away.  Darn bubble.  i was released form hosiptal 3pm on Saturday.

Doc originally told me only over night though.  So 4 days sounds really long.  How is your health otherwise?  Could there be another reason?

Same advice as others... cell phone, lap top, remembers PLUGS!!!  Plus I brought a puzzle book, which I didn't use... too many laps in the hallways.  No time to play.  i only played on cell phone/FB at night.

Good luck with surgery and keep us posted!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/11 5:19 am
I had spinal anesthetic in addition to general, so when I woke in recovery it was just *plink* awake, feeling no pain at all. I heard the other sleever complaining about pain... I was aware of my surroundings, but I didn't have glasses so everything was a blur. 

They wheeled me to my room, then the nausea hit. I am very intolerant to most narcotics, and even though I was hoping the one in the spinal would be ok, it wasn't.. since it's long acting (36hrs).. I had nausea pretty badly for the first day and a half.. meds helped, I drooled, almost dry heaved, but what saved me was a fan blowing right in my face. That really helps! Spit, do no swallow if you salivate when nauseous.. The second day I was more sore than the first, as the meds had fully worn off.. by the third (three nights in the hospital) I was fine and ready to fly home, drinking my fluids w/o a problem.

The first day I slept a lot, got up and walked by evening, but it's fuzzy. Pain was never really bad, moderate at worst and that was when I tried to get out of bed. Always remember to put the head of the bed all the way up before you get up! My husband gave me an assisting hand the first couple times, but I could have done it alone if needed. My pain was controlled with Prodolina (basically extra strength Tylenol-like med, but better) and Toradol- a strong NSAID. Not kidding when I say my IV gave me more issues than the lap incisions, I blew one IV.. that hurt when they tested it with saline! 

My husband came with, and stayed in my room.. brought his laptop- but honestly, I was either sleeping, walking, talking with the other sleevers, listening to some music or trying to sip.. I was not bored, but I wa****ting the anti-nausea meds pretty hard for a while, and they knock me out. This was my first real surgery, and first time traveling out of country for medical help.. and it was far easier than I anticipated.

emelar
on 10/31/11 6:54 am - TX
My surgery was at 11:30.  Woke up in recovery with a very sore throat, but felt okay.  Had the nurse hoist me to my side so I could sleep. 

Got to the room with all my stuff (IV, leg compressors, pain pump) and slept for the afternoon and evening.  Kept pressing the button on the pain pump even though I wasn't in any pain 'cause my momma said never to let pain get ahead of you!  I called the nurse in sometime during the night 'cause I had to pee.  I very carefully got up - but still no pain, no nausea - and pee'd blue from the stuff they use to do the leak test (my doc tests while still in the OR).  Climbed back into bed.

By the next morning, they unhooked me from everything and I was up and walking, drinking carefully, and getting ready to go home.

Went home with liquid lortab and some anti-nausea/vomiting pills.  Took the lortab religiously for 4-5 days (see "momma said" above) but never needed the anti-nausea meds.

I got my hospital record several months later and noticed that they had given me anti-nausea drugs in the IV immediately after surgery.  I also had the On-Q pain device for the incisions and never felt a thing at any of the incision sites.

Bottom line - find out what your doc does and make sure you don't have any medical issues with it.  If you have an intolerance for a med, make sure they know about it.  Make sure you know what they'll do for pain and nausea
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views