Waking after surgery

runfatgirlrun
on 10/30/11 8:11 am
Hi it is me yet again...

So another question for all you sleevers.  What was your experience waking up after surgery? I am trying to mentally prepare for every eventuality.

I end up puking everytime I have been put under so I plan on telling them to give me Gravol immediately.  I really hate to puke and can only imagine how painful that would be after abdominal surgery. 

So they take you to your room and you get up and about right away?  They told me that I would be in the hospital for 4 days and I am bracing to be bored out of my skull.  Anyone have any ideas for activities that got them through it all? 

Stella S.
on 10/30/11 8:17 am
4 days?!  Did they give you and reasoning for the long stay?   My husband and I both stayed overnight and were more than ready to go home.   I probably logged 2 miles walking in their hallways...so they knew I was itching to leave! 

I did throw up as I tried to get up the first time.  It really wasn't bad at all in terms of pain.  I have had an open abdominal surgery prior to this and you really feel very little abdominal pain with the sleeve.  Make sure they are aware of your past experiences and have meds ready and you will be fine! 

michgirl318
on 10/30/11 11:36 pm
Stella,

I noticed in your above post that you mentioned you had other abdominal surgeries.  When you had the sleeve was it again open surgery or laprascopic?  I have had to abdominal surgies (same spot), and I have to have open surgery.  I was just wondering, if you don't mind sharing.
BETHC500
on 10/30/11 8:18 am

Some people have given me advice about what helps with the hospital stay. Books, magazines, laptop/dvd player, puzzles, mp3 player or something with good headphones and a good array of music. Text messaging and dont forget your chargers and extra batteries. Good luck

nilesmama08
on 10/30/11 8:21 am - Atlanta , GA
Immediately post op was a blurr! I remember being in recovery briefly and then hours later my husband rubbing my hand. I was finally awaken for a leak test in the evening! My surgery was early morning. I spent the day sleeping!
    LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat   I met my initial goal of 160!          
David R.
on 10/30/11 8:24 am
Count on sleeping most of the day of surgery. They will get you out of bed when you are up to it. Also remember the pain pump is your friend. also once you are up and able to get in and out of bed keep moving, walk as much as possible. As to not getting board, it will be the case, you can only watch so much TV, so napping will become the norm at least this was all true for me.

When you get home try and walk as much as you can. Also depending on how long you are off from work, your sleep schedule will be messed up.

hope this helps

MyOwnSunshine
on 10/30/11 8:34 am
The first words out of my mouth after surgery were, "I'm in pain and I'm going to throw up."

The PACU nurse promptly gave me some pain meds and phenergan and I went back to sleep.  Once I got to my room, I had several hourse before they expected me to get up and walk.  I ended up walking earlier than they expected, so they were happy with me.  The next morning they took out my IV and switched me over to Lortab liquid for pain.  I didn't have any more nausea, just discomfort.

I went home the next day, even though my surgeon usually keeps her sleeves for 2 nights.  I just saw no need for being in the hospital when I could be at home with my kiddo and pets. 

I had a horrible dry mouth and a hard time waking up after surgery, but that was more from the phenergan than anything else.  Our hospital's anti-emetic of choice is compazine, but there has been a shortage, so they gave me phenergan.  Other hospitals probably use droperidol or zofran -- it all depends on the formulary. 

I had an easy recovery and have had no problems since surgery.  Don't worry too much -- a positive attitude goes a long way towards a speedy recovery!
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
kimbethin
on 10/30/11 8:59 am, edited 10/29/11 8:59 pm - CA
I was very sleepy for the first 24 hours. I don't remember much. I walked after 4 hours. Felt a little nausea so the aide brought a basin just in case. After walking about 20 feet I threw up a little bit. I don't remember it being painful, just thinking I was glad to get it out. No nausea after that and the next day was much easier. Good luck to you. I hope you have an easy recovery.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Jackie00
on 10/30/11 9:04 am
When I woke I was in my room, I have a hard time waking from surgery or pain meds. When I finally went to get up after my surgery it just felt like I did way too many sit ups, hard to get out of bed but I did it on my own because the doctor said I would be getting up and walking soon.

I was down the hall talking to one of my sleeve sisters when I felt a little ill, I was just going back to lay down but sat on the edge of my bed with my face in my hands and sure enough I vomit, it is going to be blood so don't panic if you do. I felt great after that one time. My stomach is so sensitive to any medications and I try not to take any unless I have to. I didn't find it painful, it was more uncomfortable.

They do wait a few hours for the anaesthetic to wear off of you before they get you up walking. You will be tired your first couple of days but I found the odd bit of energy to get online with my dad. So if you have a laptop or smartphone and they have wireless at the hospital I suggest you take it.

I think your surgeon is in NB? If so I think I know of someone that went to this doctor, I will have to double check though and she might be able to give you more info.

Learn to rest while you are in the hospital it is the best thing for you other then walking.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

runfatgirlrun
on 10/30/11 10:30 am
I was told that they would keep me 4 days in the hospital because I live far away from the hospital and the surgeon wanted to ensure that I was in good shape to leave.  My surgery is on a Thursday and I am released on the Sunday or Monday.  I plan to go back to work the week after. 

I have had really bad luck with pain meds each time I have had surgery.  I have bad reactions to Demerol and Dillaudid so I always have to learn this the hard way.  I had my jaws broken two years ago and ended up not using any pain meds because everything they gave me made me sick.  I just really do not want to puke.  I am a very bad puker.  It is the worst thing ever.  I hate not having control and the whole puking thing is making me really nervous. 

Another question... if you have alot of fat in your mid-section will that make the recovery harder?  I can't find my belly button so I am worried that they will have to put the incision underneath my paunch over it.  This will make healing hard.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views