2 days from surgery... any last minute advice from vets???

BETHC500
on 11/2/11 11:09 pm
I am scheduled for surgery Nov. 5th (this Sat. woo hoo).  I have some lists of things I should bring to make my hospital stay more comfortable.  Extra undies, deodrant, toothbursh/paste, book or mags to read, chapstick, chewable tums, lotion, ear plugs, mp3 player, cellphone/charger, any more ideas????????????  I was advised to bring some strechy comfortable clothing that I can wear home too.

Also any must haves for when I return home?  I did buy some sample protein shakes and such, I will order online the ones I still like after surgery.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions....
anninva
on 11/2/11 11:25 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
you're doing great!  i would definitely concur with the stretchy comfortable clothes to wear on the way home.  i had one pair of stretchy pants from lands end that i literally wore for the first 3-4 months after surgery b/c my size was changing so fast!  also, you want to baby yourself at the hospital and especially as you're recovering at home.  also get as much liquid and protein in as you can after surgery, but don't make yourself crazy if you just can't consume as much as you're "supposed to".  it will all even out and the first couple of weeks your tummy is kind of in shock.

i realized this is more about after-surgery -- hope it still helps!  goof luck!!  you'll be just fine!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

BETHC500
on 11/2/11 11:56 pm
Thank you... any info helps...
fypcdqt
on 11/2/11 11:51 pm - Cumming, GA
I don't know about the deodarant, toothbrush or anything to read.  I took a shower on the day of discharge (I spent 2 nights after surger) and they had everything I needed at the hospital and I didn't have to worry about packing it up to take back with me.  I also didn't have time to read anything.  When I wasn't sleeping, I was walking the halls.  The few moments I was laying in bed awake, I was drifting off to sleep while watching tv.  I was also nauseous, so reading didn't sound like a fun idea for me.  My friend did buy some gossip magazines in case I changed my mind, but they were untouched until I was home.

For post op, be sure to have some crystal light and sugar free koolaid in different flavors, and sugar free popsicles!  It helped the fluid intake when the taste varied.  Decaf coffee and tea, too!  Be sure to experiment with different temperature liquids, as your new sleeve may tolerate more fluid at one temperature than another.  I loved ice cold beverages, but I have heard others do much better with warm drinks.  And remember to SIP,  It will hurt to gulp, so don't bother hurting yourself!!!

Do the weight loss shuffle - sip sip sip, walk walk walk, sip sip sip, rest and repeat! :)

Best of luck on your journey!

Amy

BETHC500
on 11/3/11 12:01 am
I have heard the sip sip sip thing. I even got a 1oz cup and a 3 oz cup to help me keep track and not over do it. I also have a timer for the not eating 30 min after meals and for the 2-5 min between bites. I got a small blender at target it holds 16 oz and is quiet. I heard that the air from the blender may be a problem at first so I got a shaker with this little metal ball in it for mixing protein powders. I bought a few varieties of pre made shakes with no or low sugar. But I didnt want to go crazy buying then have my taste change and have to throw them or give away.  I have been tracking my foods since the begining of this process so I will track all the fluids and protein too.  Thank you for the info...
dec721
on 11/3/11 12:01 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Chapstick and moisturizing mouth rinse!  Your mouth will be dry as cotton.  Best wishes :-)
--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

BETHC500
on 11/3/11 2:04 pm
I bought some biotene rinse today to add to my list and some liquid tylenol for pain after. I kind of want to limit my use of heavy pain killers as much as possible.
DragonGirl
on 11/3/11 1:07 am - MN
Hi Beth!
Everyone had great ideas, but you may also want to get Gas-X strips. They knock air in your tummy down fast. I believe they were a key in healing and feeling pretty decent afterwards. Best of luck to you, have a good and safe recovery! Welcome to the losing team!

Heidi
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
BETHC500
on 11/3/11 1:11 am
Thanks... I am headed out to the store now for biotene moisture mouth rinse and gas x strips... I appreciate the info...  By the way, when did you feel your energy returning?
BETHC500
on 11/3/11 2:06 pm
Its funny today I went to 4 different stores that sell gas-x and none had the strips. I came home and did a search and called around and finally found them. funny thing is... its a store that is closest to my house I didnt even think to look there first... LOL murphys law.... 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views