Pre- Op and Planning for post op race??

Morgan S.
on 11/7/11 12:53 am - El Cajon, CA
VSG on 01/20/12
Maybe I'm a little crazy for thinking about this. But I've always wanted to run a race! There is a big one in San Diego every year and I'm thinking about registering for it. But I'm having reservations about doing so, I am pre op, will hopefully have my date in the beggining of january. And the race is in June.

I used to run, even though I am heavy, but never got farther than a 5k. I am hoping if I sign up for the half marathon that it will get me motivation to start getting ready NOW and by 6 months post op I will be ready for it. Has any one else ever set up a goal like this? or am I just nuts? HAHA.... I'm trying to set my self up for success, but worried that making this big of a goal will just set me up for failure.
George B.
on 11/7/11 12:57 am - Miami, FL
Your plan sounds like a perfectly reasonable and attainable goal.

Go for it! You'll be amazed at how much weight you'll have lost by June.

Good luck,
George

runfatgirlrun
on 11/7/11 5:57 am
If you have the surgery in January and the race is in June you may squeek it. I am slated for surgery on Nov 24th and I am also planning to run a half marathon again in May.   From what I have been told by other VSG patients is that the key is to walk, walk and walk.  I am fearful that I will lose my run base but my plan is to walk as much as I can even in the winter months so that after 6 weeks I can begin to graduate to short jogs and then increase.  The half marathon training program I have repeatedly followed is a 16 to 18 week plan.  This plan builds mileage each week while adding hill training and speedwork/fartleks towards the end.  If you don't walk immediately after surgery you may not have time to build a base to start the half marathon training.

If you are planning to have the half marathon as a goal then it is imperative to think of proper nutrition and hydration.  All the protein junkies will not get this but in order to complete a half marathon you will need to consume some carbs in order to store adequate amounts of glycogen in your liver to sustain you on prolonged runs.  Since our tummies will be limited I know that I will have to try and test some gels and other nutritional supplements out while I am out running to ensure I have energy.  This will be trial and error.  I also am planning to invest in a CamelBack hydration system so I can sip water or Gatorade on my runs.  

I love the half marathon. It is one of my favorite distances to run. If I can do it at over 200lbs then anyone can do it.

My ultimate goal is to run a full marathon.  I likely won't do it in 2012 but when I can get teh weight off and train I am going to do it.

Good Luck!

hrford
on 11/7/11 6:08 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 It's too hot here for races in June so I've set my first one as the Army Ten Miler next October.  You can sign up in Feb. and that's my plan.  I then want to do the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon Feb 2013.  Those are my current goals.  I think you'll be cutting a bit close but it is doable.  I keep hearing about people being exhausted 2months out and that's what I'd be most worried about.  Just not having the mmph to train.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

Morgan S.
on 11/7/11 11:37 am - El Cajon, CA
VSG on 01/20/12
Thanks for the encouragement. Still scared, I really think I can do it. I just need to stick to the program! 

I appreciate the input, advice and support! Gonna think about it and see if I can come up with the money to enter. Keep me updated on your goals ladies! I hope we can all reach them! Its soo exciting to even be thinking about possibly entering a half marathon! Never would have thought about that if I wasnt taking the step to get the VSG.

Good Luck and Thanks!