Revision to smaller size? Just thinking

Pkrplyr777
on 11/7/11 9:02 am - CT
Too much time on my hands I guess...
If you stretch out your sleeve over time can it me done again to a smaller size?
I was just wondering and would never want to have to do this.
I was just wondering.
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 9:32 am - Wilmington, OH
Watch the surgury on youtube...... I dont think you could stretch it big enough to reresect and staple. 
Crystal M.
on 11/7/11 10:14 am - El Paso, TX
I agree. The sleeve is created using the least stretchy part of the stomach (unlike the pouch created during a bypass). I don't think you can stretch it out enough to cause a big problem.
It's better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you're not.                

SassyItalian
on 11/7/11 11:15 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Interesting question...I dont know if they can, and moreso if any scrupulous Dr. actually would..

Because there comes a time when we must realize a tool is just a tool, and all tools are flawed and we all know there is a way to get around our tool. No matter the size of the sleeve, if you graze all day, and drink calories, you will still gain.

Luckily our sleeves have limited stretching capacity, so I imagine its more of an eating habit issue versus a sleeve stretch thing. And hopefully a Dr. would recognize that.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

lanunes
on 11/7/11 5:52 pm - CA
 I asked about stretching to my surgeon before surgery. His answer was that you can't stretch on the staple line. The only part that can stretch is below the staple line and my surgeon said that there isn't much room between the staple line and the pyloric valve, but this area can stretch a little bit. You can graze all day on food though and gain weight. 
      Leslie Nunes              
Krazydoglady
on 11/7/11 7:50 pm - FL
I think it's possible if the sleeve was done at one of the larger sizes -- like those used for a DS.  Check the revision and DS boards.

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

USAF Wife
on 11/7/11 8:57 pm
It is possible. It is not recommended at all, and it's very complicated.

If the stomach were to stretch that much, the original surgery was not performed correctly, or by any decent standard of VSG.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

OldMedic
on 11/7/11 11:48 pm - Alvaton, KY
Never underestimate what human beings will do to themselves.

YES, you CAN stretch out a sleeve to a much larger size.  You would have to really work at it, but it CAN be done.

Any surgeon that would do a resection on a patient that had done that to themselves would be crazy.  Why would any ethical surgeon do it on someone that has already proven that they will NOT comply with the surgical requirements?

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 135 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 393 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views