BEST WAY TO GET OUT OF A REGULAR BED AFTER SURGERY

katier825
on 11/8/11 11:15 am
I spent the first 2-3 weeks in the recliner. I did attempt the bed, but got stuck and couldn't get up. It's a tall bed and I'm short, so that didn't help. It might help to have a chair or something near by to help pull yourself up. That's what I did in the bathroom to help me and it made a big difference.
southtexas
on 11/8/11 11:22 am
I have a high bed as well. The first three nights at home, I slept on the couch. When I finally made it to my bed, I slowly dropped my legs off of the side of the bed and pushed myself up with my arm till I was finally in a seated position. Then, I lifted myself off of the bed on to my feet. It sucks but, soon you will be able to get up easily again.

barber64
on 11/8/11 12:16 pm - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
Love all the great Ideals. My mom bought a electric recliner that she wanted to leave with me when she had bunions done. but I told her we did not need it. how can I ask her to use it with out telling her about the surgery? It will come in handy when my son has his surgery 3  months after me.
CatherineTEACH
on 11/8/11 12:06 pm - TX
Congrats on your surgery and recovery process!  You are at the beginning of a FUN new journey.  :-)

As for the bed issue, I just finished telling someone that this was one of the worst parts of my surgery journey!  :-)  My mom actually stayed with me for about a week so she could help me get in and out of bed.  But, I will be honest with you, I couldn't sleep a full night in my bed for about 3-4 days after surgery.  I had to sleep in my recliner or very, very propped up, i.e. kinda like in a recliner in my bed.  I could sleep on my back but I couldn't sleep on my side for a long time.  And, in my opinion, I healed pretty quickly.  :-)  My arms were great helpers as well when my mom wasn't around.  But, it is really, really hard not to use those ab muscles.  I found out that I used those muscles and didn't know how much until I couldn't use them during the healing process!

Good luck and please know that is does get better! 

GW 150# (fingers crossed!)   

"Success comes before work, only in the dictionary." 
  Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers Coach    
ChristineTX1970
on 11/8/11 1:37 pm - TX
Honestly, I never had any problem getting in and out of my bed. I just rolled on to my side and pushed up with arms while swinging my legs off the bed onto the floor. No assistance necessary. I was able to sleep on my back with pillows under my knees for a few nights and after that I was able to sleep on my side with a body pillow. Good Luck!!

howarli
on 11/9/11 12:42 am - MD

The day I came home I sat in the recliner but that night after seeing my husband waddle around the entire bed I made myself sleep in the bed and I just worked thru the pain of getting in and out.  By the 2nd day I was good to go.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views