tastes change?

BETHC500
on 11/10/11 8:18 am
I heard that many people's taste change after surgery? when do you notice the change? Is it right away or a little while after surgery? I havent noticed a taste change yet but I am only at day 5...
Kitty1975
on 11/10/11 8:37 am - Canada
Well i was on a special diet after surgery of just liquids, mush, etc etc. But soon as i was able to eat *normal* type foods i noticed it.

I cant stand any type of grease now just the thought of it makes me kringe. I used to LOVE bacon and thats one thing i cant stomach now. Turkey bacon yum! I couldnt stand fish but love haddock now. Couldnt stand sweet potatoes but love them *in moderation of course* so on and so on

what do you wanna be when you grow up little girl? i wanna be a loser and sit on the bench sir! (45 lbs lost pre op) 300lbs starting weight, currently 141lbs! Lowest has been 135lbs and hoping to get back to that.
mrs_smith615
on 11/10/11 9:09 am - Raleigh, NC
 Couple of years  when I went to Paris, I could not wait to go to a certain famous bakery and try some pastries...but as beautiful as they looked, they were so bland. I had always heard that American's have more sugar in thier foods than other countries but I wasnt expecting it to be such a dramatic difference...I didnt even finish the one pastry I bought and that was basically how the food  was the whole trip (not counting the bread..that was of course amazing). That is how things are now...they look great...kinda taste bland. 

ChangingNow
on 11/10/11 9:36 am - OH
Some things seem to sweet for me know (Crystal Light is a good example), but that's likely because I'm having so few sweet things now.

Even though my tastes haven't really changed, I'm definitely even pickier about what I eat than before.  If I'm only having a few ounces of food - it better be something good!

VSG on 05/03/2011, SW 255, CW 140, 5'6" female
Body by Sauceda on 11/30/2012, LBL, BL/BA, long thighs, arms, neck

cabcab
on 11/10/11 11:04 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
Things tasted pretty weird for me for a while after surgery, but it's mostly gotten back to normal now.  One taste that didn't ever come back is my love of margaritas.  I try one periodically, but they just aren't the same.  But I like broccoli better.  I don't love broccoli, but I dislike it less.

You're in for a ride for all of the changes that are coming your way.  Food tastes is just one of the changes you may notice!

HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

brilynn79
on 11/10/11 9:59 pm
I could not stand artificial sweeteners for months right after surgery  until about 6-7 months out.

I also started liking stronger flavors after surgery- blue cheese, horse raddish, cinnimon all things I hated preop.

BETHC500
on 11/10/11 10:43 pm
I have always used artificial sweeteners for drinks and such. I use to use 3x the amount that I use now. It just tasted too sweet. But I can still use them.
Awesomassager
on 11/10/11 10:59 pm - KY
I am 9 days post op and I didnt believe that it would change but it does.
I liked the Unjury brand protein before surgery, but now I cant stomach it. My favorite crystal light flavors and to sweet for me now too. Don't go all out buying what you like now, Wait a few days after discharge and try different ones.

Good luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views