What to do? Cold or Infection before surgery

runfatgirlrun
on 11/11/11 8:05 pm
Hi All...

My surgery is on Nov 24th.  I have to go for more pre-op bloodwork and my pre-op clinic this Tuesday.  Lucky me, I developed some sort of nasty sinus cold/infection.  I am also on my pre-op liver shrinking diet. My throat is so sore that I can barely swallow. I am afraid to go to the Dr. and then have them give me an antibiotic which will delay my surgery.  I waited so long if I get bumped it could be years before I can have surgery.

My question is will this screw up my blood tests? They told me that they are checking my CBC's so if I have an infection or cold this will screw up my tests. 

I have had to take Advil and ColdFx despite being on the liver shrinking diet which they may not like.  I am getting a bit better (don't want to jinx myself) so I am hoping that my immune system can get rid of this itself. 

Has anyone had the same experience?

ready2liveat50
on 11/11/11 8:35 pm
 I just finished a round of tamil flu becuase hubby tested postive two weeks ago and a round of anitibiotics becuase of a cold/cough that had me coughing up colored gunk.  It did not postpone my surgery.  You still have time to get well, be honest and tell them whats up.  You will get well faster with meds!
Dawn 
(deactivated member)
on 11/11/11 9:41 pm - GA
I had an abscess tooth that fractured and the tooth had to be extracted on Tuesday.  Very unexpected- happened day after pre-opt visit. The dentist also did a bone graph.  I was put on antibotics and pain meds.  Called the Surgeon and was told it was not a problem, just make sure i took all the antibotics.  My surgery is on Friday November 18th.   I am also on the LS diet. 

Antibotics shouldnt delay the surgery, if you need antibotics at least get started on them in time to finish before your surgery date.

dittodotv
on 11/11/11 10:17 pm
I'm sorry that you're not feeling well! But you do still have time to get better before then, but I wouldn't worry about antibiotics showing up on bloodwork but rather taking it so you can get better faster! You will just need to tell everyone up front what is going on...my surgery is on the 30th, I totally understand your concern - my biggest fear is "what if I get sick?" - last year at this time I had a bad case of pneumonia so this year I got the pneumonia and flu vaccine to be safe!

I will pray for a speedy recovery for you! 

50yr. old female 5'8" / HW 363 / ConsW 346 / SW 333 / CW 184.4

RubyTues
on 11/11/11 11:58 pm - Canada
This is a concern of mine too.. I have surgery Dec 1st and my son has a raging throat infection due to a cold they are dubbing the 90 day cough cold. I haven't gotten it yet but I know the incubation time is up to 10 days. I've been washing my hands alot and popping one cold effects daily, but let's face it my boy is only five and I've been the main caregiver to him while he's sick. Not snuggling is not an option. I've been sneezed, slobbered and coughed on LOL

I am a lil stressed over it but I guess all I can do is wait and see.

revisiondecision2011
on 11/12/11 1:31 am
I had a really bad bout of illness about two weeks before. High temp and terrible cough. I got on antibiotics and advair. He was more concerned with my ability to breathe than anything else as I would be finishing my antibiotics two days before the sleeve. The anesthesiologist listened to my lungs and we were good to go. I woe absolutely let them know. Everyone is different and a few weeks is worth it if there are issues bcause of infection of breathing. Good luck to you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 141 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 409 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views