hair loss is freaking me out

becca2297
on 11/19/11 9:39 am
I'm losing so much hair every day.  Not just when I wash but just brushing.  I will have hair all over  my clothes.....everywhere!!!!  This has been going on now for about 2 months and I can't believe I still have hair on my head.  I have been taking 5000 biotin daily since surgery plus all my vitamins and even extra vitamins.  I know it's irrational to think that it will all fall out.  I am wondering how thin it's going to get.  I used to have such thick hair and pre-op I was not concerned about hair loss because it was so thick.  I welcomed the fact that I wasn't going to have to dry and fix so much hair, but now it's concerning me.

Consult weight =312    SW=299    CW=233   GW=160
I am 5'7"   Lost 13  of these lbs on the 2 week liquid diet.
Happy Camper
on 11/19/11 9:42 am
 I'm worried about that too.  Are you getting lots of protein?

becca2297
on 11/19/11 9:46 am
I usually get over 80 grams of protein a day.....a lot.....sometimes its over 100 grm a day.  So, I am getting enough protein in.

slimpickins5280
on 11/19/11 9:43 am - CO
My hubby keeps digging my hair out of the shower drain and he swears I've lost enough for a whole other person.

It happens.

It's not forever.

Consider it a donation, a tything of sorts, for the weightloss.

It'll come back.

Breath. It's okay.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

becca2297
on 11/19/11 9:47 am
sighhhhhhh......I'm breathing....for so long my hair was the only thing I had going for me....so to be losing it.....well you know.....

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 9:55 am
Now you're going to be thin AND your hair is going to come right back so you have TWO things :)
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 9:54 am
I have a hormonal condition that causes hair loss so a few years ago I spent about 2 years of my life researching hair loss and having follicle biopsies, etc. Your hair is falling out due to the lack of nutrients and the shock of drastic weightloss. It is called telogen effluvium. It is temporary as long as your nutrients balance themselves out. I pinky swear. Your hair goes through cycles and what you see falling out now is a product of what happened about 3 months ago. It's similar to women losing hair after having a baby due to the hormonal changes. Realistically (and this isn't to freak anyone out) not all people get ALL of their hair back when they go through TE.  There is also something called Chronic Telogen Effluvium that happens when your nutrients (or whatever is triggering hair loss) are not fixed. This means that the problem is chronic/continuous. I don't think this is likely with WLS since we know what the trigger is and can look at labs to see what we are deficient in. 

What is happening to you guys is NOT the type of hair loss that is permanent and that you will need a wig for.

This is the information I found from my personal research through my personal struggles with hairloss....
becca2297
on 11/19/11 10:16 am
I am interested in what you are saying.  I do have a hormone imbalance and I have pituitary issues.  I have a high prolactin level and also PCOS.  Can you tell me more?

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 10:21 am
I have PCOS and that's why I have hair loss and that's why I was researching hair loss so much. Unfortunately, if you have hair loss due to hormone imbalances, it is possible to have permanent hair loss, androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) due to the hormones. IF the hair loss is SUDDEN and drastic, it's most likely TE from the surgery. The hormonal hair loss is slow and permanent like how a man loses his hair. The good thing about the PCOS issue is that you had WLS and weight loss helps with the hormone imbalance and all of the symptoms associated with PCOS :) That's part of the reason why I want to get the surgery as well.
slimpickins5280
on 11/19/11 10:04 am - CO
Yes, some of the vets will telll you that if it lasts longer than a year (most don't) make sure to get blood work done because you may have a defiency.

Hopefully you are already planning to get your blood work drawn regularly.

I didn't think my surgeon was drawing blood enough and I went to my PCP who is a blood sucker (in a good way). Things change fast. After only 17 lbs gone, I may be off my cholestrol meds soon and my thyroid meds (the next month or 2). Also I'm taking too much b12 and my Phosphorus is up.

Glad I checked.

My hair was my thing too. Now it's flat and sad and pulled into a tiny, thin pony tail every day. My nails are going like crazy though. Go figure.

It's not forever. I will have luscious, sexy hair to go with my luscious sexy body.

So will you.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views