Anyone get a pre-op IVC Filter?

kwiegs3856
on 11/27/11 11:22 am - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
 I was told I must get a IVC filter pre-op to prevent a blood clot reaching my heart/lungs.  Wonder what that is going to be like?

DebbieL.
on 11/27/11 12:47 pm - OK
I had a permanent IVC filter put in before my sleeve surgery.  It went fine.  It was done as an outpatient procedure and I was in the hospital for about 4-5 hours.  I was awake the whole time, they gave me a twilight drug and I was aware of what they were doing, but didn't care.  The actual procedure was probably only about 45 minutes.   I had to stay in the recovery room for 2 hours after the procedure.  I didn't feel any pain or discomfort.  I was light headed for awhile, and my son drove me home.  I did take it easy for the rest of the day.  Now I don't feel anything any different. 
SassyItalian
on 11/27/11 12:54 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
My friend and sleeve sister on here Veronica had one placed before her surgery. She had a blood clot in the past years earlier so it was a preventative method..

she seemed to do fine and got it out a few weeks or months post op.

you will be fine, stay positive

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

kayshyna
on 11/27/11 7:46 pm - LA
i had a ivc filter put in and i didn't like it at all.  i had more issues with that procedure than i had with my vsg.  if i had it to do all over i wouldn't unless i have had issues with clots in the past (which i didn't).  also i thought i wouldn't be given blood thinners because of the filter but those were standard so i figure what was the point of getting the filter in the first place.  i had to go to the er because they thought my filter had moved which could damage your kidneys.  the best part of the hole filter ordeal was when i had it removed!!!!!......i don't know your situation but if you are able to walk around and move after your surgery then it isn't necessary.  however i know there is another option and that was to take blood thinners i wish i would have done that instead of adding two more surgical procedure to my weight loss procedure.
kwiegs3856
on 11/27/11 11:20 pm - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
 Thanks for the information everyone, I never had a blood clot but I have poor circulation in my legs due to varicose veins.  I also have a job that keeps me strapped sitting at a desk all day, so when I go back to work I will be sitting all day.  I was hoping I wouldn't need blood thinners if I'm getting an IVC, I will need to discuss that with my surgeon.
beckysuea
on 11/29/11 3:00 pm
I had surgery in 9/11 and had the IVC filter put in through my neck (or it can go through your groin).   I had them put a towel over my head and I was awake.   They give me a a shot of Lidsocaine in the neck and then proceeded.  It took about a half hour.   I was able to leave the radiology suite about 1/2 hour after the procedure.   I should tell you that your neck hurts really bad the first night but gets better later.

I had my IVC filter removed on 11/7/11 and that was more intense.   My collarbone up to my ears hurt for about two days but that is it.

When I had the filter in I was really scared but not when it was taken out as the first procedure really did not hurt, just pressure.

kwiegs3856
on 11/29/11 7:04 pm - PA
VSG on 01/05/12
  They told me mine is going in my groin.  From what your saying, I think I'd prefer that.  I not sure if mine is staying or being removed I'll have to ask them.  Thanks for telling me your experience!
Most Active