What does oversewn mean?

(deactivated member)
on 11/27/11 8:31 pm - GA
 Hey everyone,

I have my preop labs and last meeting with my surgeon today and plan to ask lots of questions about my new sleeve. One of the topics I have read about on OH is having an oversewn sleeve. Can someone please explain what all this means and what specifically I should ask?

Thanks in Advance,

novascotiadawn
on 11/27/11 9:47 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi there,

Your stapleline is oversewn with sutures, after they close it with staples.

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Carmelita
on 11/27/11 9:48 pm - Four Corners, NM
What does oversewn MEAN....in terms of VSG and stomach size....NOT ONE DAMN THING

Typically, GENERALLY...OVERSEWN  is at the STAPLE JUNCTURES...when the surgeon REPLACES the staple gun with a new cartridge....those staple junctures are OVERSEWN so as to PREVENT LEAKS at the junctures ONLY.

IF your surgeon does a RUNNING or CONTINUOUS suture OVERSEWN......down majority of the STAPLE LINE at least 2/3 of it)...it  POSSIBLY can have a SLIGHT impact on stomach size.

Majority of us VSGrs have been told LIE after LIE after LIE about VSG...many perpetuated HERE ...quite a few by their very own $URGEONS...  remember that BARIATRIC SURGERY  is BIG BUSINE$$ these days..with the obesity/diabetes II PANDEMIC..... $hysters/LIARS/marketing (Lap$F, LapBand) abound!

SO if yer doc is CLAIMING to give you a TIGHTER sleeve because s/he OVERSEWS........look at him or her like they have TWO HEADS, and ask...continuous?/running? oversewn line?  Answer will be HELL NO...your insurance isn't going to PAY ME for that extra work!

GET YOUR HARDCOPY....to CONFIRM it was RUNNING or CONTINUOUS  "OVERSEWN"  or
be at PEACE ... that

YOUR "OVERSEWN" STOMACH AIN"T NO DIFFERENT NO BETTER Nor WORSE THAN ANYONE ELSES!!  We're ALL HERE ON THE SAME TICKET!!

No ONE-UP-MANSHIP when it comes to VSG surgery!  PETTY BULL****don't BUY into it!

BOUGIES in VSG

http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/carmelita/blog/tag/bougie+ in+vsg/

Peace Out Cub Scout
(deactivated member)
on 11/28/11 12:46 am - GA
Thanks for the post, I think.

I was just curious what it meant and if it was a good thing if my surgeon does it or not. After talking with him today he DOES over sew the staple line.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 252 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 319 views