This seems wrong......

Sunshine00015
on 11/29/11 9:10 pm
I could drink liquid right away fast...Never really bothered me..
howarli
on 11/29/11 10:19 pm - MD
I would say that is a little fast.......I had a 11 oz RTD strawberry shake  this morning and it took me about 35 minutes and I'm just about 9 weeks out.  Keep in mind everyone is different and since it is liquid I don't think it's a hugh deal.  One good thing is........you shouldn't have trouble getting in your 64oz of fluids each day.  Have a good day your stomach will definitely let you know if you going too fast.  Mine keeps telling me but I sometimes still don't get it.

sunnymicki
on 11/29/11 11:09 pm
Some people have more swelling than others, making liquids harder or easier to go down.  The size sleeve your surgeon made is a consideration as well.  I never had a problem getting liquids down in those first weeks, unless I took too big of a sip at once - that hurt.  But I could do lots of sips in a row with no discomfort.  During my swallow eval/leak test, the radiologist said my liquid just went right through, while some people have to wait a number of minutes for it to get through the stomach.

Anyhow, unless your surgeon has a problem with it, I wouldn't worry too much.  I didn't feel any restriction until the mushie phase (blenderized foods) of the diet, and not my full restriction until I was doing soft foods like tuna salad.

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

califsleevin
on 11/30/11 12:05 am - CA
I was able to drink liquids with little restriction from the outset - I had a 6-8oz bowl of broth and a half cup of juice in one sitting in the hospital, and yeah, I was concerned, too. Particularly since when my wife had her DS, she could barely drink her nominal stomach volume at a time. But the doc said that it was just one of those variations between us all - nothing to worry about. And he was right, as the firmer proteins were, and still are, much more restricted.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

MyOwnSunshine
on 11/30/11 1:20 am
I could drink like that a week out.  Don't worry.  I'm losing fine. 

Be thankful that you can tolerate liquids so you can get your fluids and proteins in. 

Don't compare yourself to others.  That is the best advice I can give.  We are all different and have different amounts of restriction.  There are benefits to having more restriction, but there are also benefits to having less restriction.  You've got what you've got.  Do what you're supposed to do and don't stress it.

You'll have plenty of restriction when you get to soft/regular foods.  Trust me on this.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
emelar
on 11/30/11 1:33 am - TX
I never had any problem drinking from the very beginning.  I could get 64oz of fluid in the day after surgery - including the protein drinks.  Stop worrying and be grateful that you didn't have a lot of swelling and won't get dehydrated!
Happy966
on 11/30/11 5:21 am

I, too, had no problems drinking 64 oz of water a day as soon as I left the hospital.  I definitely could have drunk some protein shakes in 20 minutes, if they were on the thin side.  I could do a cup of broth or tea or other thin liquid in 20 minutes no problem, right from the start.  I don't think I had any swelling at all. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Most Active