How soon were you able to drive after surgery?

roobi
on 12/7/11 12:16 am
 I know that you are not supposed to drive on pain medication. I see where a lot of people are off pain meds within a couple of days, some sooner. I have a pretty high threshold for pain and I'm not sure if I would need to be on pain meds for very long. But I wonder if there are any other factors that might prevent driving? (wooziness, nauseau etc).

I will be having it out of state so I have to fly into the bay area and rent a car (I have a pre surgical appointment a few days before).  I'm having my surgery Mon Dec 19 and will be flying back Friday Dec 23. I would really like to be able to drive the rental car to the airport on that Friday but I'm not sure if that is just wishful thinking or what? If not possible, I plan on returning the rental before my surgery date and taking taxis.
frenchgrapes
on 12/7/11 12:24 am - TX
Is the hospital going to release you to yourself? My hospital wouldn't - I had to have someone there.

My instructions say when I'm off pain meds for 24 hours then I can drive. You might be able to drive the car back to the rental place but since you won't be driving it for a few days after the surgery, you might be just as well off returning the car just before you go into the hospital. That way if you don't feel up to it later you don't have to worry about it.
roobi
on 12/7/11 12:34 am
 Is the hospital going to release you to yourself? My hospital wouldn't - I had to have someone there.

----
I need to look into that again to check the hospital policy. I will be traveling alone and its not possible for me to have any family or friends who will be there at that time. So I will have to see about my options.
Happy966
on 12/7/11 12:26 am

I had surgery on a Monday and drove by Friday.  BUT, I couldn't twist without discomfort, so I felt a little hobbled for backing up.  I only drove to the grocery.  I don't know that I'd want the responsibility of driving around the Bay Area that soon after surgery.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

walmartian
on 12/7/11 12:43 am
I would have easily been able to drive on the third morning, but didn't until that afternoon. I only needed pain meds the first 24 anyway, after that I had some discomfort but not near bad enough to make me feel that I needed medication.

frenchgrapes
on 12/7/11 1:13 am - TX
I'm on my third day now and don't need pain meds so far today. I'm not pushing it but think I should feel comfortable driving after I've been able to get into the next phase of a full liquid diet. I don't feel weak or disoriented or anything but I'm not doing anything that requires concentration or focus.
momsy55
on 12/7/11 1:14 am - ME
I was released with instructions that, as long as I wasn't on pain meds, I could drive when I was up to it.  I got out the hospital on a Wednesday (surgery was Monday), and I drove Friday.  I only went a short distance and had my husband with me, in case I got tired, but did fine.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

2breakfree
on 12/7/11 1:36 am - NC
I was driving 3 days post op without any difficulty. I really think is based on how you are feeling and if you are on medication.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can not change and the courage to change the things I can. Above all the wisdom to know the difference    
Lisa J.
on 12/7/11 3:58 am - OK
I say if you're knowledgable about the area and I'll bet you don't want or need pain meds, you'd be good to go.

I never had any meds so perhaps that's why the Dr released me to me? 
LOL ;-)

Had surgery on Weds a.m., released Thurs about 2pm, drove home myself (about 12 bumpy ass country miles home OUCH) but other than that, was perfectly coherant, fine, just sore.

Bully for you that you're even considering it, so many people on here are only concentrating on the pain they *might* have and how many meds they can have. CONGRATS for being a tough cookie!!
Lisa J
HW: 277   Day of Surgery: 234    CW: 161 Goal: 135 sounds good but....? Who knows!

HW/277   EVAL/260  PREOP/246  SURGERY DAY/243   CW/162 1/3/2011
P_B
on 12/7/11 5:56 am - Norfolk, VA
I'm 10 days out and still not driving

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 361 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views