Support Group maybe not so supportive??

susanraywilliams
on 12/12/11 1:35 pm
I live in a rural town where there are a handful of us that have had bariatric surgery. For the most part I enjoy the company of all. I am a little shocked at what some say they eat. However, we do not all have the same surgeon.
Well, there is a young lady that started the support group who had started off very friendly towards me. As a matter of fact, she works at the pharmacy I use. After I had surgery her disposition totally changed. It was almost like she was avoiding me in public. (we have the same surgeon) Anyways, I was like ok, not everyone is buddy buddy. But then I went to support group (she always has to mention this is her support group that she started. Just an observation) And she never would make eye contact with me and didn't like what I had to say about info given to me from "our" surgeon. She is over a year post-op and didn't lose her weight because she didn't stick to the plan. So, she is still overweight. I try to shake it off and not let it bother me but I can't for the life of me figure out what I could have possibly have done to offend her. So anyways, I guess I'm just venting really... We aren't having another meeting until January. That's kinda got me bummed but then, I'm seriously considering not going back because I was so harshly dissed. I'm an adult and as an adult, I can't recall being treated this way. Very strange. Oh well, thanks for listening!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

doggz109
on 12/12/11 1:51 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Jealousy.
susanraywilliams
on 12/12/11 1:59 pm
Maybe so. But doesn't that sound a little crazy considering we are all trying to meet a common goal and to support each other on our way there? I hope not because I'm not someone to be jealous over and I wish her nothing but success.

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William Duran

injeneral
on 12/13/11 1:07 am
But doesn't that sound a little crazy considering we are all trying to meet a common goal and to support each other on our way there?

It doesnt' sound crazy; it sounds like women. Ideally yes, you'd support each other and be encouraging and etc., but whenever you get in a group setting where some are doing better than others there are going to be clashing personalities and feelings. Ignore her and continue to do what you're doing.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers                        
HT: 5'3"      HW: 240     GW: 130     AGE: 30     PCOSer; diagnosed 2003
Month 1:  -21.2 (218.8)   Month 2: -10 (208.8)   Month 3: -10.6 (198.2)   Month 4: -8.6 (189.6)
First goal (to be under 200): Nov. 11; 199.2
Second goal: weigh less than my husband (174):

I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing as though I had wings. — Mary Oliver

susanraywilliams
on 12/13/11 4:52 am
You're right and I guess I know this deep down that women can at times be very caddy to each other. So silly..

Thanks. I do believe I will do just that.

BETHC500
on 12/13/11 11:07 am
I agree.. its jealousy... you have probably lost more weight than her and if you contradict anything she says she feels threatened or something.  Start your own support group and really get her pissed... LOL

frenchgrapes
on 12/12/11 1:59 pm - TX
That's what it sounds like to me too. You've been sucessful and she hasn't. Maybe she wanted to blame her surgeon but you have the same surgeon and you are doing well.

Vent away!

Maybe she needs someone to help her out too. She went through the same thing and hasn't accepted it is her own actions that have kept her from succeeding.
    CW 278 SW 260 GW 140    
susanraywilliams
on 12/12/11 2:07 pm
She was upset at Dr B. this last time. She thought he was too hard on her for not losing any weight. But through her own admittance she was eating alot of canned nuts. But, she stopped eating them when she realized she wasn't doing too good in the weight loss dept. We have people in our group that are 1 and 2 year post-op that goes to the same clinic as we do. But none of us eat what she eats either. So, the help and advice is there for her. I guess I just have my poor little feelings hurt. Guess I'll just have to suck it up and get over it. Thanks for listening!

(deactivated member)
on 12/13/11 12:41 am
Stephanie M.
on 12/12/11 9:40 pm
 If your support group is bringing you drama and not support, stop going. It's not worth the aggravation.

High weight: 276

Lowest weight: 155.2

Currently : 159-164

Couch potato to runner in 18 months!                         

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views