LOOSE SKIN/ TUMMY TUCK??

Miluska32
on 12/16/11 2:49 am - NJ
I am so excited about my weight loss.  I am just scared of losing weight to rapidly and causing my skin to hang.  I am post op 4 weeks on Monday 12/19.  I haven't started working out as of yet but I do walk just not intense workout yet.  I am currently a size 14/16 and I hold most of my fat on my lower belly.  I want to hear from some of you out there who have been out of surgery for awhile now and if you could tell me if by losing weight alone did your belly just flatten out or did it hang?  I am so embarrassed of this I feel it comes even to my sides. 

Will I need a tummy tuck or will working out alone do the trick?

As always your input is always appreciated!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 3:25 am - Woodbridge, VA
It's not the speed of losing weight that makes a difference. Even some who lose weight slowly can have loose skin. Some are lucky and will see the skin reduce somewhat over time. There is NO WAY to know if you will need surgery to get rid of the skin - it is based on many factors, including how much you lose overall, how long you'd been obese, how much elasticity your skin has, and just plain ol' lucky genetics. Exercise can help, as can staying well hydrated, but neither (nor both) is a guarantee of escaping loose skin.

I lost about 120 pounds and had surgery at age 26 (I mention that specifically because some people say being young helps). I have gross amounts of sagging skin on my upper underarms, my sides, my back, my stomach, and my inner thighs. My belly will never be flat without surgery - it is sort of split into an "upper" and "lower" roll of skin with my belly button caught in between (cannot see my belly button unless I pull my skin up). My lower stomach (panni) hangs down so low that, if standing naked in front of a mirror, you can't tell my sex from the waist down because you can't see my private parts!
RigbyMom
on 12/16/11 3:54 am - AL
I have been told that if your skin ever develops the "apron" ,the skin that completely folds over on your belly, that the only way to get rid of it is through surgery.  It is not an expert opinion, but something that I have heard many times before.  That no amount of exercise is going to make that go away.  

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/11 4:55 am
Ditto Jillybean.. I lost from over 300 to 155 in my very early 20's.. took me 2 years total. I had excess skin aplenty. It's not the speed but the damage done. I have it again now.. and though there will be a slight improvement in time, nothing but more surgery will ever give me a flat stomach (or get rid of my bat-wings and shar-pei thighs..)

Not trying to be a downer.. you may luck out only being a size 14/16 and maybe didn't do the sort of damage I did to my skin over the years. Only time will tell, but don't purposely slow anything down as that has nothing to do with your end result. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views