Your experience?

HelloKatarina
on 1/17/12 5:13 am - SC
VSG on 01/27/12
I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow and I have no idea what to expect!

I assume blood work will be done.

Just wondering what happened in your pre-op appt?

And if you had to do a liquid diet.

Thanks for the responses!

We are, all of us, stars and we all deserve to twinkle. ~Marilyn Monroe

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/17/12 5:22 am
My pre-op included asking any final questions of the surgeon, signing a document that said I understood the risks associated with the surgery, bloodwork, EKG, chest x-ray... and a one week pre-op liquid diet.    Good luck!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

bigmama3
on 1/17/12 5:34 am

No pre-op liquid diet for me!  My surgeon called me a "light weight" :)

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

nandmsmom
on 1/17/12 5:43 am - Bridgewater, MA
VSG on 01/10/12
I had blood work and they talked to me about the pre op requirements.  There was no pre op liquid diet.  I ate up until the day before surgery.  That night instead of dinner, I had a bowel prep and then clear liquids for the evening.  Pretty easy.

HW 290   SW 272  CW  234
Rosemary1031
on 1/17/12 6:01 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12

I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow as well. My surgery date is February 6th. Talking to the nurse yesterday, I believe I might have some labs done, as I have already done an EKG and chest x-ray. I have prepared a few questions to ask, such as what size my new stomach is going to be (that differs from every doctor) and a few other things.

I was placed on a 3 week liquid diet, which started yesterday. So far, so good! I see the benefit of doing this, not just so that your liver softens and makes your stomach more accessible, but also for giving you a jump start to health and getting you in tip-top shape for the OR.

My liquid diet is actually such a breeze and I'm not completely on all liquids. I get 3 protein shakes and a healthy, lean meal consisting of 3oz lean meat, 1 serving of whole grain, 1 serving of veggies, 1 small fruit, 1 serving of oils (healthy nuts or slice of avocado), 64 oz water, and all my delicious sugar-free vitamin chews. No, I am not starving!

Good luck at your appointment :)

doggz109
on 1/17/12 6:45 am, edited 1/17/12 6:46 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
My pre op was super easy.  It took all day though.

I had blood work and an EKG.  I then had about a 3 hour class with the program director (a nurse who specializes in bariatrics) and the dietician.

Some people have a lot more testing though based on their medical conditions.  I have heard of:

- sleep testing

- stress testing

- upper GI

- lots of blood tests

My surgeon did not require a pre-op liquid diet but I did my own because I felt it was setting me up for success better than eating all the up to my 24 hour pre surgery clear liquid cut off.

HelloKatarina
on 1/17/12 6:47 am - SC
VSG on 01/27/12
Thank you everyone for your responses!

I really appreciate it!
happyteacher
on 1/17/12 7:06 am
 Mine was quick.  The doctor did  a quick confirmation that all tests were completed and acceptable, that I finished the required courses up to that point, that I knew to schedule and complete the how to eat after surgery class.  Then she gave me the referral to see the surgeon.  

The surgeon referral appointment was also fast.  He reviewed the surgery, drew a picture, discussed pros and cons.  He didn't mince words with the risks- a little unsettling so be ready.  Asked if any questions and that was it.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views