My daughter has chosen Plication. Could use some feedback on this.

Pkrplyr777
on 1/18/12 6:04 pm - CT
My husband has agreed to paying for my daughter to have the VSG surgery.
I'm hoping in February. She is excited about this but she has decided on the Plication.

This particular surgeon, Ortiz in TJ, was mentioned in NewsWeek magazine as one of the top 15 weight loss surgeons in the world. I'm not sure what the criteria for that was. But I know he has been doing plication surgery consistantly for at least 2 years. It's probably been more than that, but to me that's just words on a web site. I KNOW he's been doing them for 2 years.

When speaking to his assistant surgeon, Dr. Martinez, after my surgery, I was told that Dr, Ortiz was scheduled to go to Germany to speak there about the Plication. 

My daughter is 25 years old, so it's her choice.

IS THERE ANYBODY ON THIS FORUM WHO HAS HAD PLICATION?

Everytime I ask about this proceedure on this Forum I get a lot of people who give opinions without actual facts. I really need to hear from those that have had it and are willing to share.

Thanks,
Donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Carmelita
on 1/18/12 8:21 pm - Four Corners, NM
There's been a few maybe less than 15 peeps here that Ive seen in 4 years... pop in but hardly ever come back or stay w/ any frequency. There isn't a plication board/forum that I know of either YET...but with so many problems with LapBand (erosion/scar tissue/slippage) Plication a bump up from that (scar, tissue/adhesions) there should be a forum pretty dang soon...as so many peeps are looking for HELP...and aren't into chopping up a perfectly healthy organ...  the only reason why LapBand is so popular...well marketable too.

But if you need facts...a simple OH seach or GS will send ya on a FACT FINDING mission....not anecdotal..like ALL  our WLS experiences are.  

VSGs have been done since the 1880's  called "partial gastrectomy!"  there ain't much info on LONG TERM PLICATION....so careful of the "promising" FACTS early out as you read about this procedure....there ain't MUCH AT ALL...regarding its reversal...since its apparent thats the appeal of plication...no different than the lapband...except more "natural"  to fold up yer stomach like the hemline of a skirt than put a yoke around its neck and choke the life outta it.  

So add ONE MORE OPINION...to yer roster ,-)
comeundone
on 1/18/12 8:55 pm - OH
I have not had Plication but here is a link from Cleveland Clinic about it.
https://weightloss.clevelandclinic.org/gastricplication.aspx
Hope it helps,
Lynn
HW 289  SW 242

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/12 8:58 pm
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4308190/Unexpected-Com plication-from-Vertical-Sleeve-Plication/action,replies/topi c_id,4308190/page,1/

Perhaps you can track this OP down and ask her about her experience and/or if she is in contact with more plication patients.
Pkrplyr777
on 1/18/12 9:23 pm - CT
Thanks,

The link was helpful.
I did 't even know if they were doing it in thre states.

The search on the formum turns up the older cases/people who don't appear to be on the forum anymore.
Knowing that in the last 2 years there has been quite a few people who have had this surgery I would have thought there would be more.
I cant even find another forum using Google that talks about it.
But your right, the Cleveland Clinic reports that the downtrend from lap-band and notes the up-trend of the gastric sleeve.
They use numbers from across the country. So there are more numbers.
I will be checking this out further.

I personally think she should get the VSG, but as I said, she has to choose for herself.

thanks
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
PaulaToronto
on 1/18/12 9:31 pm, edited 1/18/12 9:33 pm - Toronto, Canada
Get her to research research research, ask questions and talk to people.  She needs to know what she is getting herself into both positive and negative. I find it interesting that the top weight loss surgeons that we are familiar with do not do the plication.  That tells me something.  It wouldn,t hurt for her to get a second consult with someone who does the vSG.  How much does she have to lose? Have her read the regrets board as well about the band. 

You might want to post on the main board as well to see if plication patients are there.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

USAF Wife
on 1/18/12 9:40 pm
A spin off forum from verticalsleevetalk is up for plication patients. There's a few I've kept up with, and only one out of the handful is happy and content with her plication. 2 others are hoping to revise to the sleeve once they pay off their plication surgery. From what I've read, and after talking to the few I stay in touch with, the biggest issue is lack of restriction and constant hunger after the initial healing period, but it's one of those things that only she can decide. It's a personal choice, and I hope you can find some answers for both of you.

http://www.sleeveplicationtalk.com/
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Ms. Poker Face
on 1/18/12 9:42 pm
I don't personally know anyone who had a plication.

From what I've read, it seems the sleeve is the superior choice. 

Why keep all that grehlin production around with the plication when you have a very good chance of getting rid of a bunch of it with the sleeve?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

smbergie200
on 1/18/12 9:46 pm - Naples, FL
From what I researched it is not having that great of success. Make sure you get her to research, research, research. And of course she will still have tons of hunger hormone grehlin to deal with. I really hope she reconsiders after her research.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

smbergie200
on 1/18/12 9:58 pm - Naples, FL
Here's a youtube video that should help. A bariatric doctors opionion on the surgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSLdJlbVchI&feature=relmfu

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 150 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views