Updated Statistics for VSG?

newmommolly
on 1/31/12 11:05 pm - Cincinnati, OH
I'm planning on surgery in Spring/Early summer this year.  I've basically completed as much research as I can possibly find about VSG.  I feel relatively informed.  But I was curious to know if anyone is aware of any recent (within last 3-6 months) updated statistics about the surgery?  From what I've been able to gather there have been many independant studies from various hospitals but not a collective compilation of short and long term results. I believe that the Cleveland Clinic is in the process of publishing updated results, but I've not be able to find anything new online.   I'm really into statistics and numbers, so this is very helpful to me in order to feel confident about my decision.  Thanks for any feedback.
jhub01821
on 2/1/12 1:28 am - billerica, MA
Hi Molly I had the VSG about 2 months ago. I am now eating pretty nuch anything I want in much smaller quantities. I have lost 120lbs total and 40 since the surgery. I don't know about statistics but I believe this was the best surgery for me I have just had blood work done and my vitamin profile looks great no defiencies. Anyway you go girl!! Your life will become amazing.

John
ruggie
on 2/1/12 4:37 am - Sacramento, CA
This thread contains a recent metadata analysis, but you maybe already be familiar with the individual research articles.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

newmommolly
on 2/1/12 10:35 pm - Cincinnati, OH
Thank you Ruggie, that was an excellent thread, and right up my alley.  It helps me to calculate risk by understanding the statistics involved...kind of weird I know, but I have an irrational fear of surgery but being able to think in terms of statistics helps put that fear into perspective.  I think I saw those numbers before, I didn't realize when I was reading them that they were published in Oct of last year, that is fairly recent. 
I did want to say however that I really, really enjoyed the thread you started.  You make some wonderful points, and touch upon a lot of important topics that have been running through my head constantly.  I know having this surgery won't suddenly make me exempt from dieting failure.  I'm working at taking an introspective look at what my failure triggers were in the past.  I think you nailed a lot of them in your thread.  Thanks.
ruggie
on 2/1/12 11:48 pm - Sacramento, CA
No problem at all - I'm glad you enjoyed it.  It also helps me to think in terms of odds - I'm able to frame my goals and successes a bit  better, while also driving my expectations.

Good luck with your surgery!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active