Anyone have Pancreatitis after VSG???? I need help!

cassandra1021
on 2/3/12 6:12 am - MD
 Hey Fam,

I haven't been on here posting in a while...it's been a rough road since surgery on Dec. 28.
8 days after surgery went to the ER with pain, ad was told I had a really bad case of pancreatitis and I've been in the hospital ever since...almost a month and my blood work is still way out of the normal range of being normal. I now have a feeding tube and take TPN. I've had an MRI, CT Scan, EDG, and anything else you can think of and they can tell me where it came from, they keep saying its a waiting process. Now I'm suppose to be discharged tomorrow on a liquid diet, yet still have pancreatitis. I'm scared that with comsuming things by mouth again will make it worse, but the docs said there's nothing else they can do....I'm at a lost for words...any help is much appreciated! *tears* 
I have a ways to go, but by the grace of God I will reach my goal!!! 

kellyfondren0025
on 2/3/12 6:45 am - Alvin, TX
Gotta just start by saying that as of now...I have the LapBand.  I've had the band for 5 years and last year on New Years Eve I went to the ER with excruciating pain and nausea.  With the band it is impossible to throw up from your gut so it was extremely bad!!!  After an MRI it turned out that I had pancreatitis along with a bowel obstruction.  So I was unable to get anything out of either end..excuse the bluntness.  They had to pump my stomach with a tube down my nose.  This was the most awful experience of my life!  They said it had nothing to do with my band, but I didn't believe them.  I had been throwing up for years.  When you take in food the chewing process activates all your digestive enzymes and therefore when you throw the food back up and it never reaches your stomach....what happens to all those digestive juices?  Just my take on it.  They never found the cause of my pancreatitis and mine slowly got back to normal and I was released after a week and a half.  I hear it's different for everyone and you really have to be careful what you eat for a while.  Since this happened to me I totally unfilled my band for the past year and have been slowly gaining my weight back.....this is why I have decided on the revision to VSG.  This really scares me!!   I hope you're Okay.  Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
emelar
on 2/3/12 6:58 am - TX
I had severe pancreatitis 15 years ago in connection with gallstones.  Was on massive amounts of antibiotics in the hospital for a wee****il the pancreatitis was under control and they could whip the gallbladder out.  No problems since then.  Do you still have your gallbladder?
cassandra1021
on 2/3/12 7:07 am - MD
I don't have my gallbladder (out in 2005) and they're telling me that they don't treat pancreatitis with antibiotics. I revised from the band to sleeve and I think when my surgeon removed the band there was an issue but I guess that secret will never be disclosed... 

kellyfondren0025
on 2/3/12 7:10 am - Alvin, TX
Did you have your band removed and the sleeve done in the same surgery?  Or was your band removed prior?
cassandra1021
on 2/3/12 7:18 am - MD
 Yes everything was done in one surgery.

kellyfondren0025
on 2/3/12 7:30 am - Alvin, TX
Oh wow!!  My revision is scheduled for feb 18th.  One day I'm scared to death and the next I'm fine!  You know what really sucks is that you probably will never know what caused the pancreatitis!  It could be totally unrelated....I hated that something that made me that sick was just passed off as IDK by the doctors!  I hope you feel better soon and please keep us posted.
Donna D.
on 2/3/12 8:44 am - Cockeysville, MD
Hey girlie I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time! I just wanted to tell you that I pray that yo get better and everything works out for you! Hang in there it will get better.

HW:338  SW:316 CW:203 GW:190 MY HT IS 5"11"

krystlekellie
on 2/4/12 3:40 pm - TX
Im currently going thru the same thing right now. My surgeon thought it was my gallbladder causing it but found out that was wrong. Then he said maybe it was inflamed from surgery and that wasnt it. So now he really doesnt know whats going on. My pancreatic levels are 10 times the normal amount. I have to do one more lab and then he will put me on meds for my pancreas. So I feel your pain! Didnt have to stay in the hospital quite that long but the situation sucks. I will continue to pray that our situation gets better!!!
cassandra1021
on 2/4/12 9:17 pm - MD
 I really hope our situations will get better.  Please let me know what medicine your sergeon gives you.  Mine has not even mentioned meds that's why I'm looking for a new doc for a second opinion. I will be praying for the both of us! Please keep me updated!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views