Acne post-op

Ms. Poker Face
on 2/2/12 4:21 am

Ugh.  I am really struggling here.  I've lost a bunch of weight, but have gained some pretty unsightly acne on this journey.  I've seen a dermatologist and he put me on a cream and a pill, but they don't seem to be doing much for me.  I'm really getting frustrated.  My face is totally broken out and make-up can only do so much to cover it. 

Anyone else?  How long does it last?  What did you do?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

trayb17
on 2/2/12 4:29 am
VSG on 01/05/12
I actually have really oily skin on my face since the surgery, so I would be interested to hear what other's are using. I had really bad acne that started about 5 years ago and nothing has worked for me either. My TOM it gets worse. The dermatologist said that he thought my acne was caused by excess hormones and that weight loss may help.

Actually since losing weight I have had no new break outs, just the oily skin. For the acne I have tried every cream and pill out there and anti biotics because I had cystic acne that was leaving scars. I hope the dermatologist is right and the acne eases up not gets worse with weight loss. Hope someone comes along with some ideas for you.
newme2011-2012
on 2/2/12 4:30 am
I only seem to get it if I am eating more cheese. I think it is also from your body getting rid of toxins. I am sure it will pass. Drinking lots of water helps.
Sometimes it just has to adjust.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

tristak
on 2/2/12 5:28 am
So an interesting factoid an esthecian friend taught me years ago.  There are hormones fed to cows called RBST or HGH and these compounds can cause an allergic reaction of acne in some people.  I cut out "regular" dairy and stick with cheese, milk, sour cream, yogurt, etc all labeled RBST/HGH or hormone free (mostly found at Trader Joe's).  Also organic dairy products are free of these chemicals too - but I find you pay alot more when it's labeled organic.  Also beef cattle are fed these hormones so you may also want to investigate grass fed beef. 

I also know my skin is much clearer because of the amount of water I drink (at least 12-16 cups per day).

Just a thought to ponder...best of luck.

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

Faye56
on 2/2/12 5:40 am
VSG on 07/19/11 with
My face breaks out if I don't drink enough water also. I always know to up the water and it clears up.
Good luck!

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

Pkrplyr777
on 2/2/12 8:26 am - CT
something I learned a loooonnnnngggg time ago...Don't use soap on your face.
use warm water only.
If that does not clean the pores well, then use a foaming facial wash like Olay etc.

Soap is the number one culprit for acne!
IMHO
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
Bettie-Jean
on 2/3/12 5:32 am, edited 2/3/12 5:41 am - PA
OMG, me too! I had DS surgery on December 17th, have lost over 50 lbs. and of 2 days ago, all of a sudden I woke with acne! It's really tiny whiteheads, but they're all over my face, some in my scalp and I just found one on my back. I'm REALLY upset!

I went to Sephora yesterday and got Murad's teen acne treatment kit and I'm praying it helps. I had a thought someone else mentioned... maybe it IS my body's way of ridding the crap I've put into it for the past 40 years? Oh, I also stopped using my conditioner.

I'm hoping this all works because I haven't introduced anything new to my environment both internal and external that I could stop using.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Bettie-Jean

YELOBBW
on 2/14/12 11:26 am, edited 2/14/12 10:46 pm - TOLEDO, OH
WELL YOU ARE NOT ALONE... I ALSO HAVE HAVE HAD A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN ACNE, ESPECIALLY ON MY CHIN, SINCE MY RNY IN SEPT 2011. ALL OTHER SOURCES SAY IT IS DUE TO THE FLUCTUATION OF HORMONES CAUSED BY THE WT LOSS. ALTHOUGH DRINKING PLENTY OF WATER IS GOOD IT WILL NOT HELP THE ACNE MUCH. I DRINK WATER ALL DAY LONG AND I AM STILL HAVING LOTS OF BREAKOUTS. UNTIL THE HORMONES STABILIZE THE BREAKOUTS WILL CONTINUE. HOWEVER THE GOOD NEWS IS THEY SAY IT WILL GET BETTER , AND I AM HOLDING THEM TO IT. UNTIL THEN KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, AND REMIND YOURSELF OF THE PAYOFF OFTEN. STAY IN THE FIGHT... AS WILL I.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 369 views