need advice please

hhogan
on 2/4/12 1:04 am
Okay I went with my doctors advice to get wls because of severe foot pain.  No one could figure out the cause of foot pain.

Well had a huge and upsetting week and TOTALLY went off plan.  Gained 2 pounds.

So every night ate out....

Wed had to go to PCP to get clearance on surgery(feb 9) and he finally saw how bad my foot was and said I should call foot dr and probably get MRI.....ate pizza

Thurs went to foot dr, have to have mri and probably surgery.....ate subway

Fri had preop, gained 2 pounds, if don't get it off by monday, she will reschedule surgery

so on liquid diet for wkend then Monday starts 3 day liquid diet anyway.....did have period so was a little bloated, scale showed this morning down the 2 lbs (not making excuses, well maybe) so my question, do i go through with surgery or concentrate on my foot....was I sabataging(sp) myself because I'm scared and nervous or not ready.  I'm so confused.  I was doing all this because of foot pain and had gained 50 pounds.

Just need some opinions.  Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/12 1:35 am
WLS is LIFE CHANGING!!!!! If you are not ready, don't do it. Seriously. Are you ready to eat only a 1/4 to 1/2 of food at a time for a LOOOONG time? Have you wrapped your head around the fact that the only way for you to be successful losing weight and maintaining a weight loss is with surgical intervention? Can you deal with going out with people and hardly eating anything and still know you're going to have a great time because it is no longer about the food? I'm a food junkie and when I did the VSG I knew I had a tool that was going to make me accountable to my issues. Are you ready for that?

While I have no regrets and think VSG is one of the best things I ever did for myself I had some major emotional baggage to leave on the platform to accept WLS was the best answer for me. 

I went through nutritional counseling, psychological evals, and several meetings with my surgeon prior to being approved by the WLS surgery team. It was an intense program, but I was at peace with my decision and ready for surgery and never looked back. I honestly love my sleeve and the journey I'm on.

If you're not sure WLS is the right choice for you, I'd recommend waiting. You have to be ready both emotionally and physically. That's my best advice.

Happy966
on 2/4/12 1:41 am

I am not sure what you should do, but I have a couple of questions you should think about.  You are definitely sabotaging yourself, but we have all done that with food - otherwise, why would we need surgery?  Food after surgery is easier, thank goodness.  Also, we were all very scared and nervous before surgery and questioned our decisions, many up to the very last minute.  It's serious stuff.

I am confused with how surgery will interfere with your focusing on your foot.  The only thing you won't be able to do after surgery to focus on your foot is eat pizza and Subway. 

After you have most of your stomach cut out and removed from your body, your sleeve will be traumatized and fragile and need to heal.  You will need to eat and drink according to a plan that you really can't deviate from, and most of us can make it through just fine.  I bet you can, too, it's not that hard. 

Do you want to be free(er) from the bondage of excess food?  Are you ready to see what it's like to face your problems without overeating?  You might not be ready if you can't imagine life without pizza and Subway, and I mean that kindly. 

In my case, there was a mental leap I had to be willing to make where I was willing to say goodbye to my old way of eating forever if it meant I would be free from the bondage of food.  I think you can face your foot problems without excess food, I really really do.  You will probably be 90% in a month after surgery and able to do any physical therapy or whatever to help your food get better. 

I think this addiction has us convinced we need the food to deal with life, but really, nothing about dealing with my life after surgery has been as scary as how much I suffered every day trying to numb myself by overeating.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

hhogan
on 2/4/12 3:38 am
Thank you for your reply.  I think I have been trying to numb myself. I had previously (about 4 years ago) lost 110 lbs on my own due to exercise and good eating habits so I was totally against surgery when my dr suggested it in October(I gained about 50lbs when I hurt my foot and could no longer exercise)  In my mind I had lost it before I could do it again.

Well after a month of constant pain and no one able to figure out the problem and the dr. telling me I was over 40 and the pain was due to my weight, I started looking into WLS.

So from Nov until now I have been caught up in so many emotions.  I didn't have support for a long time.  Finally about a month and half ago my husband and mom got on board, after seeing me in so much pain.  But close friends and work friends are not liking this one bit.  I think I deserve it, to get my life back.

I think with the bad decisions this week it was two reasons.....a food funeral(I think I heard about that on here) and stupid late night stress eating after dr. appts.  Which was stupid of me to do I know that now!!!  I was a little mad at drs too and reverted to emotional eating.

I want to thank you all again for all your posts its so nice to know what to expect.  Please keep me in your prayers that I lose the 2 lbs and for a quick easy recovery so then I can FINALLY deal with the foot issue.

Thanks again,  Heather
kimbethin
on 2/4/12 4:19 am - CA
It seems to me that you were doing some emotional eating to cope with your foot pain.  Having vsg should not get in the way of taking care of foot issues and carrying less weight can only help.  Be sure you know what you want before you have surgery.  You may want some counseling to help with the emotional issues.  Good luck whatever you decide.
putting one foot in front of the other...        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views