Try these meatballs...using quinoa!

sarytyr
on 2/16/12 1:30 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
I have made these meatballs several times - I like to experiment with different meats and veggies - will try chicken, fresh basil and smoked mozzarella in my next ones! This recipe is basically gluten free, just be sure to check your ketchup and soy sauce labels!

Adapted from Whole Foods recipe: Beef and Quinoa Meatballs
Serves 6

Sneak whole grains and veggies into crowd-pleasing meatballs with this easy recipe that will stretch your food dollar, too.

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray
1 pound (95-percent) lean ground beef (works well with other ground meats - bison, chicken, turkey breast, etc. as well)
3/4 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup grated zucchini
1/4 cup finely chopped bell pepper (I like red, orange or yellow)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon italian seasoning (or your favorite herb(s))
1 egg

Method

Preheat oven to 500°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil then grease with cooking spray; set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together beef, quinoa, onions, carrots, zucchini, ketchup, garlic, soy sauce, pepper, salt, oregano, thyme and egg until well combined. Shape beef mixture into 16 balls and transfer to prepared baking sheet. Roast until cooked through and golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve hot.

(Note: To cook quinoa, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a small pot. Pour in ½ cup quinoa, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside off of the heat for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.)

Nutrition

Per serving: 150 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 17g protein

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

SouthernmostStar
on 2/16/12 2:19 am
VSG on 01/25/12
Quinoa is a great way to add protein, too!  I just always need to remember to rinse the grains before cooking or they can be bitter.  When I transition to solid foods, I'm going to try your recipe.  Thanks for sharing.

If someone love the taste of fried buffalo wings but wants to cut out the frying calories, etc., I found a recipe for mini buffalo chicken meatballs.  I made them for a party and they were easy and delicious!

Mary

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

sarytyr
on 2/16/12 2:41 am - Round Rock, TX
VSG on 02/17/11 with
The quinoa makes these meatballs less dense - will be more easily tolerated when you start on solids...

~*Sandy*~ Ht 5'7" HW 262/SW 254/GW 160/CW 155

ruggie
on 2/16/12 4:06 am - Sacramento, CA
I've made "bariatric meatballs" using Quinoa before - it's a great alternative to breadcrumbs.  Helps to bind the meat, but offsets some carbs with protein.  It's a great idea.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views