Hypothyroidism diagnosis after VSG?

thethinme
on 2/16/12 7:41 am - NY
Hi everyone. Did my annual physical last week and doctor called me to say my thyroid level is low. I will come in again in a month to do additional exams but from my research, it seems I might be diagnosed with Hypothyroidism.

From a quick research, I see a few VSGrs in the forum had it before the surgery, but haven't seen many diagnosed after doing VSG. Anyone out there who had this happen? I wonder if it's somewhat related to the surgery (I guess not, but wanted to ask).

I checked my last lab from a year ago and my TSH levels seemed normal so I probably did not have it before the surgery. My symptoms that seem part of being Hypo: depression, dizziness when sitting/standing, being cold, a little sluggish, mental confusion, fatigue, high LDL colesterol for the first time (130), etc. A few of them I related to WLS and losing weight, but now it makes more sense.

Can someone who has had thyroid issues and understands it, let me know if it seems I will really be diagnosed with Hypo? Also, I would like to know if there's any issues that are particular to having had VSG and Thyroid issues.

Thanks! Appreciate any answer, perhaps can help more people.

--

Here is the result I got (the ones relevant to Thyroid issues):

- Tests: (3) TSH W/FREE T4 RFX (43562A)

TSH [H] 4.68 MIU/L  (0.40-4.50)

T4, FREE 1.2 NG/DL   (0.8-1.8)

- Tests: (4) Total T3 (30536R)

T3,TOTAL 79 NG/DL (76-181)

- Tests: (1) Lipid Panel (CPT-80061)
CHOLESTEROL,TOTAL [H] 208 MG/DL (125-200)
LDL CHOL, CALCULATED [H] 130 MG/DL     (

SW 215=98 | GW 137=62 | CW: 116 lbs = 52.5 kg | 5'4 | lost: 99 lbs=45 kg | goal: 7-9 mo.

kegpsu
on 2/16/12 7:49 am
Revision on 01/31/12
 Geez.  U are barely hypo.  My endocrinologist told me most people who are hypo will need to decrease their dosages of synthroid as we lose weight.  I don't really know if the surgery has any relation to your level.  This just might b a natural cause of aging.  When was last time your levels were checked prior to these numbers?  I would ask to get it rechecked in a few months.
SW - 283   1 mo -16

gonersmom
on 2/16/12 8:09 am
Her numbers remind me of my original lab values.  However, while the tsh levels are slightly elevated above the high 'normal' end, it is possible that depending on size, age, and other factors she may feel better at the other end of 'normal'. 

If my levels are at 4.0... I might as well jump into a hole and pull a rock over it.  I am optimized at 0.4....literally able to leap tall buildings in a single bound (well...slight exaggeration there).  But the point is each person is an individual.  The approved lab values of the Endocrinologist Association are 0.3-3.0.....unfortunately most PCP's labs consider 0.5-5.5 normal.  Just a slight increase of tsh for some people can have huge effects on their physical and mental abilities.  If I'm over 2.0 I feel as if I'm walking under water, with legs in concrete.  My mind is foggy and I can barely stay awake.

It is a good thing to get blood levels several times a year for the first few years just to track cycles.
Best wishes.

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
gonersmom
on 2/16/12 8:01 am
I have been hypothyroid for almost 20 years. IMHO...It's not something you need to be terribly worried or frantic about, just something to be aware of.

If like me, you will learn to read your body's symptoms (fatigue, headache, dry skin, shedding of hair, etc). The first few years I'd have a roller coaster ride with my tsh levels, needing to have my dr. adjust my medicine doseage several times a year. It's merely a matter of a blood test with a retest usually 8 weeks later.

If I had my life to do over, the only thing I'd do different regarding my thyroid issues is to see an endocrinologist immediately instead of my PCP. The reason being...endocrinologists tend to have a different lab value (lower #'s) they regard as 'normal', and once I was being treated a bit more aggressively, many of the more subtle symptoms I was suffering from were eliminated.

Also, once I was being treated by the endo I was able to better address my other endocrine issues like insulin resistance, and also due to the finding of Hashimoto Hypothroidism I was also referred to a rhuematologist to deal with my arthritis. These are all autoimmune issues. Between dealing agressively with these issues, and my VSG I can literally say that my 51 year old body is younger than it was at 30!

Best wishes, and if you have questions please feel free to PM me.
Anne

Let me help you with bariatric friendly cooking.  www.pamperedchef.biz/gawnecooking
thethinme
on 2/16/12 8:27 am - NY
Thanks guys!

Anne, thanks for the excellent advice and for taking your time to write. Really appreciate it. I too was wondering if I would be diagnosed with Hypo as this THS number seems to barely be over the range the lab calls "normal"... so it was great to read about what range you feel "normal", thanks for sharing. I have been feeling extremely fatigued for quite a few months now and I thought it was only related to depression or getting used to being thinner or something similar... but now it all makes more sense.

It's kind of scary and upsetting but at least there seems to be not that difficult to control. I just hope this won't make it difficult for me to have a child in the next 1-2 years. I don't think I have a ovulation problem, but I read it can complicate things.
LosingLZ
on 2/16/12 9:58 am
I have been hypothroid for over 20 years. Your symptoms sound like you are too. I am no doctor and I am not an expert on levels, but perhaps you are "off" enough to need medication.
My situation was that I slowly gained weight, got sluggish, lost hair, had dry skin, weird illnesses, etc. but no one figured it out. I was told it was because I was older, that I worked and had kids, and was given B12 shots (twice). Finally, at my wits end, when I actually had fluid around my heart and was sleeping 12-15 hours at a stretch did a doctor figure it out. I was so bad it took months to get to the proper level.
I never have felt totally normal since, but the meds make me feel pretty close. I also still had a lot of trouble losing weight, would lose maybe 1/2 a pound a week. So for me, the surgery has been a Godsend. I have not been the fastest loser, but I am approaching losing 100 pounds in 8 months, and I will take it!  I was nervous I would lose much slower due to the Hashimoto's but it hasn't been bad. Of course, the hair loss with the surgery was an unwanted reminder of that time when I was so out of balance. I was a mess!
I have had my levels changed twice since the surgery and just today did my latest blood work. Get a good doctor and you will be fine. There are many worse problems to have as this is easy to treat and the meds are inexpensive!
Good luck to you!!

Scandrona
on 2/17/12 2:16 am - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
You should get the book 'Why am I still having hypothyroid symptoms when my levels are normal'  You can get it on Amazon an it is totally worth it!  Also, you need to make sure to have your doctor test you for the Tyroid antibodies, not just for your thyroid levels.  All of my thyroid tests came back "norma" for years but I still had all the symtoms    I did a whole bunch of research on my own and made my doctor give me the test for the thyroid antibodies and low and behold I have Hashimotos thyroiditis, which is an autoimmune disease in which your body attacks and breaks down your thyroid.  

Good Luck!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 325 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views