Extremely dry skin/nail cuticles/hair

Fangirl_says
on 2/16/12 10:50 pm - NC
 I hope someone can help me. I'm having issues with extremely dry skin, nail cuticles and hair. Not sure if they are related or separate issues. My skin, which is typically dry in winter, is much worse this year. I itch all over, and whenever I wear black, it's embarrassing because I end up with what looks like skin dandruff (but it's not dandruff; it's my skin shedding, I guess!) I slather on lotion constantly. The skin on my feet and hands is cracking, so I'm using a diabetic cream (though I don't have diabetes), which helps a little. I am losing hair, and what I have left is dry and brittle.

I take my multivitamin every day, faithfully. I drink enough water, and most of the time I get plenty of protein. My last bloodwork showed all my levels were good except potassium, which was slightly low.

What can I do? Help!?

vacationlover
on 2/16/12 11:33 pm

I had hairloss, dry skin, and VERY dry and peely nails, starting at about 3 months out.  I eat my protein, etc, but still had these problems.

I started taking Biotin, and it has REALLY helped my nails.  They are back to how they were pre-op.  My hairloss started to get better around month 9, and it's really starting to grow in nicely now.  I use diabetic foot lotion on my feet (I occassionally did this pre-op as well).  If I use the lotion regularly, it really helps my feet.

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

Faye56
on 2/16/12 11:40 pm
VSG on 07/19/11 with
I was advised just last week that I needed to incorporate good healthy fats in to my diet for these problems. I have just begun to do so and have not seen results yet but I am hoping it helps. It makes sense that you need that for your skin and hair. I also take Biotin to help hair and nails.
Hope this helps for both of us.

"Encourage instead of criticize.  Love instead of hate.  Hope instead of doubt. Give instead of take.  Trust instead of worry.  We open our hearts to others so that they will be prompted to open their hearts to God"  Lucy Swindoll

tristak
on 2/17/12 12:48 am
I dealt with painfully dry itchy skin at about 5 months out - my PCP recommended Eucerin or Aveeno for itchy skin cream.  It definitely helped and now at 16 months out my skin is back to normal.  Definitely lean towards a cream instead of a lotion.

5'2"
HW - 310/SW 300/Day of Surgery 293.2/CW - 182.2 (2/26/19), fleur de lys abdominoplasty 2/12/19 - removed 8lbs of skin from abdomen.

wwjdmommy
on 2/17/12 1:30 am - maud, TX
I would talk with your doc and maybe get some labs drawn. Sounds like your albumin (protein) level is low.

PaulaToronto
on 2/17/12 5:19 am - Toronto, Canada
Try an Omega 3 supplement. Good oil for your brain, heart and skin, etc.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

rarejem
on 2/17/12 5:39 am - WA
VSG on 04/09/12
try a shea butter cream/lotion. Bath & Body Works has one that is fragrance free.

HW:265, GW:165  CW: 164 Goal reached in 7 months.  

Argee68
on 2/17/12 3:57 pm - CO
I have super dry skin all the time (before surgery), too, and have always used a lotion for diabetics, but since the surgery it is SUPER dry, as are my cuticles and hair! I take Biotin, too, but it sure doesn't help the skin issue. I don't have an answer for you and was actually hoping I'd find one on here, but I wanted to let you know that you're not alone. And it's nice to know that I'm not, either!
Good luck! If you happen to find a solution, you could let me know, and I'll do the same!
USAF Wife
on 2/17/12 8:03 pm
All the lotion, creams in the world only give temporary relief. Nourish your skin, hair, nails from the inside out with eating healthy fats. Nuts, peanut butter, avocados etc etc. I'm not talking hoards of fat, but adding these to your intake will help with this issue. If you don't want to add foods, supplementation is another option via fish oils, Omega 3s and 4s etc etc. I'm not one to remember to take additional vitamins/supplements so I ate regular, full fat foods my entire losing stage, and still eat full fat foods. Cooking/sauteeing in EVOO helps tremendously as well.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 310 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 357 views