I now you've heard it all before but I need encouragement/ reasurance

AMoody
on 2/19/12 9:24 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Ok, I know everyone has heard this all before, so have I but it hasnt been me Iam 2 weeks post op and have only lost 6 pounds! I had even lost 7 but gained 1.2 pounds..I have not lost anything since the first week. I know I need more protein in, I can get in about 4-50grams, I eat 2oz of cottage cheese low fat small curd, I have progressed to mushy stage and have now introduced 1 tablespoon mashed potatoes with 1 oz cream of chicken soup  and 2 oz of fat free pudding, and I get in about 16-24 oz of water/fluid in... am I doing something wrong? Is this normal, I am working toward getting my 3rd proteine drink in, I had 3 yesterday and will probably get in a 3rd tonight by the time I get to bed... Total lost pre op diet, 10 pounds, post surgery 7..this seems to me to be going pretty slow.. Thoughts? I have started to walk on treadmill yesterday and 2day...Breath is fine, no ketosis, except the first week post op.. How does everyone get all their liquids in?????? This is killing me!

H.W 247 L.W 170 C.W 238 G.W 145

Pkrplyr777
on 2/19/12 9:31 am - CT
Ah sweetie, your taking it too hard.

Relax, You're only 2 weeks post op.
Lot's of healing to do yet.

Drink your fluids (for healing and weigh loss)
Eat the proteins you can comfortably (to prevent muscle loss while you are eating low cal)

Rest, Rest, Rest.

The scale LIES at this stage of the game. Too many fluid issues going on right now from healing. Your body DEMANDS fluids to heal. Some give it up sooner than others.

You need to heal. Period.

Just follow your plan. Keep it simple.
You will see the weigh drop when your body is ready to accept what's happening.
Get some rest. It's important.

See you on the losers bench
donna
  HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
New_me2011
on 2/19/12 10:04 am - NY
VSG on 02/14/12
 Thank you so much Donna! I am almost 1 week out (sleeved on Valentines Day, this past Tuesday), and although I haven't weighed myselp post op I know I will be very discouraged to find the same thing happening to me. I know I read the same thing pre-op, but as a new sleever I really needed to be reminded of this. Thanks, as usual for your informative, comforting and inspiring posts- thanks for sharing your progress pictures also, I really need to see that success is really possible and within my reach!

Michele            

AMoody
on 2/19/12 11:16 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12
Thank you for the encouraging words Pkrplyr777, thats all I needed to hear.. Its one thing to read it and another to go threw it..

SouthernmostStar
on 2/19/12 9:36 am
VSG on 01/25/12
You've progressed through the transition phases faster than my doctor allows, but I don't think that's it.

It doesn't look like you're hydrating enough if all you're taking in is up to 24 oz of water/fluid.   I take in at least 64 oz of fluids in addition to what's in my protein shakes.  The only way I'm successful with this is to keep a large glass (24 oz) filled and with me all of the time so I can sip away throughout the day. 

If you're having trouble getting in enough protein, try mixing Greek yogurt into your chicken soup and the mashed potatoes.

My breath didn't get weird until my third week post-op, but everybody is different.

Good luck!

Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mom4Jazz
on 2/19/12 9:39 am
I only lost 7 pounds the whole first month and now look at me.

Your body is healing. It's retaining fluids, it does that when it's trying to heal. It took me until week 6 before things really started moving. Some folks lose a lot immediately post-op, others are like you and me.

The most important thing you can do right now is focus on getting in more fluids. Your body will not struggle to badly if you don't get your protein in, but not getting your fluids in is a big problem. You do get to count your protein drinks, but if you have to choice between eating and getting your fluids right now, get your fluids.

Please take a deep breathe. Put the scale in a drawer or closet and stay OFF it for a couple of weeks. Concentrate on taking care of yourself.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

ruggie
on 2/19/12 9:57 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, now we've heard it all before, and we've heard it from you too!

You know what to expect.  I didn't even read all what you're eating - doesn't matter.  It's just another "three-week", post-surgery stall like 85% of us all have.  Don't weigh yourself for the next two weeks.  I know, sounds like insanity.  It's less insanely than killing yourself by weighing yourself constantly through a stall.

You're also a bit early to expect bad breath from ketosis - give that a couple more weeks. 

Sip, sip, sip all day long. You definitely must get more fluids in.  That won't only stall you, it can put you back in the hospital. Sip, sip sip!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Cindy22706
on 2/19/12 10:00 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
Its ok, I am the exact way! I was thinking I am going to be the only one that doesnt lose weight! I have lost 8 lbs since surgery and 10 pre op. I am 11 days post op. I was pretty sure this was normal, but it is bothering me as well.

I do think that you need to drink more fluids, sounds like you will get dehydrated if you dont. I get 64+ everyday, and usually I get close to 60g of protein, I have had two days that I had 80+ of protein. I think you really need to focus on your fluids more than those protein drinks!
goingforit1
on 2/19/12 11:06 am
VSG on 02/04/12 with
I lost 10 lbs pre op, 10 lbs the first week post op....and now for 8 days have not had the scale move. I am getting enough protein, water, and keeping carbs very very low. I also am only having an intake of about 350 calories on average. That's including adding milk to my protein shakes and a dab of sour cream on my puree 1/4 cup of whatever I'm having.

It is DEFINITELY frustrating!!! But I am sure my body thinks it's starving and is hanging onto those fat cells for dear life. I will keep going and just not deviate from plan. Keep on keepin' on....the scale has to move eventually!
AMoody
on 2/19/12 11:20 am - Mayville, MI
VSG on 02/06/12

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone...thats all I needed, to know that ok, this is ok, it will be ok...Im normal... when you are this new, its a whole new scary world out there, for me who has dieted and failed hundreds of times over, I feel like failure is just lurking around the next cornor, waiting for me to do or not do something...REmember everyone is a newbie in the begining and I hope when I get months/years out I will have reasuring words for a newbie who is really walking on unfamilular ground.. You guys are the best and have put my worried mind to rest! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views