WHITE NAILS

Miluska32
on 2/23/12 4:36 am - NJ
I recently have noticed my finger nails were getting white ridges and now I see my toe nails have almost like white paint on them.  I do pedicures and manicures but have not gone lately because my nails have been weak so I have stopped doing the UV light nail polish until my nails harden up again. 

I googled what white nails can mean and I was reading scary  things like Kidney Disease and Anemia.

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced the same thing?

I do take my vitamins although I do not get enough water in.  I probably drink about 2 water bottles a day.

I eat protein but do not take protein supplement drinks anymore.
I don't know if I would need to contact my doctors office I don't want to call if this is normal.

Your experiences and recommendations are appreciated.
Ms. Poker Face
on 2/23/12 4:54 am
When was your surgery?  I am 8 months post op and my nails did not experience this anywhere along my journey.

You already know this, but you NEED to get your water in.  Every single day.  At least 64 oz, which is four 16 oz bottles.  Start today!

You also need your protein, whether that's through supplements or food.  Do you track your protein intake?  If not, you may not be hitting your targets.  It's easy to under or over estimate our intake on the various components.

A set of labs and a talk with your doctor may be a good idea to ensure you are healthy.  Have you had any labs post op?

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Miluska32
on 2/24/12 2:42 am - NJ

My surgery was 11/24/11.  WOW, just realized I'm 3 Months Post Op!!! Yay!! Yes, I definitely need to drink more water.  I started drinking thru a straw and that seems to be helping getting in more water.

I definitely take all my vitamins and have had my blood work checked since surgery and the doctor increased my Vitamin D intake to 2000 a day.  I don't track my food.  I just signed up for fitness pal.  I hope this will get me on track.  I was drinking a protein shake in the morning but I have stopped drinking my shake and instead have a small cup of coffee now. 

This weight loss journey has made me really start taking of myself now!

Thanks for you advice

princessleah613
on 2/23/12 9:19 am - PA
VSG on 01/19/12
 Not a doc, but sometimes white nails indicate a lack in calcium.

Leah
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views