This is all happening so FAST!!

miciaRN
on 2/28/12 7:43 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
I went for my consultation with my surgeon this morning and within fifteen minutes of me leaving the office, the scheduler calls and gives me the next available date...in three short weeks (March 19th)!!! I have so many emotions going on right now; a very big one being fear lol. I have never had surgery before so I have no clue what my personal experience may be. I just finished my Options class with Kaiser earlier this month, so I was thinking it is going to be at least another month and a half, but no. I am so grateful to have a date that is so close, but feeling very overwhelmed at the same time; I know that day will be here before I know it. Any insight on how you guys calmed down before surgery would be greatly appreciated because I'm losing my mind!!

momsy55
on 2/28/12 7:54 am - ME
Congratulations!!!!!  The fears are normal.  Just think, you'll have less time to fret.  LOL  Good luck!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

miciaRN
on 2/28/12 9:48 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
 That is so true lol. I do have a tendency to go overboard with the fretting so the less time I have to do that, the better. 

cheyrobin
on 2/28/12 7:58 am - Cheyenne, WY
You're going to be fine!!  Just keep thinking of the end result!  I haven't had mine yet either so I'm right there with you - assuming the insurance approves it it should happen within about a month.  When I first started this I kept hearing about most people needing to do a 6 month diet and monthly classes.  But my insurance doesn't require that so I kind of feel the same - that it's happening so fast and am I ready for it. 

But you're going to be fine!  Just keep taking deep breaths and don't focus on the actual surgery, just focus on how fantastic you're going to look in 2 months, then 3 months then 6 months! 

miciaRN
on 2/28/12 9:53 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
 Thanks for the words of encouragement. Those images and the thought of not having this health risk looming over my head anymore are the only things that are keeping me from having a nervous breakdown I think lol. 
cheyrobin
on 2/29/12 3:34 am - Cheyenne, WY
Are you feeling any better today?
miciaRN
on 2/29/12 6:44 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
 Much, I have calmed down immensely. Thanks for asking. I'm actually thinking about calling the scheduler to find out if there have been any cancellations  for something sooner lol. Still have a lil bit of fear, but now I'm mostly eager to get in there. 
Rosemary1031
on 2/28/12 8:11 am - Chula Vista, CA
VSG on 02/06/12
Lucky girl! Many have to wait months, but this is a good thing for you, so just go with the flow of it.
Like you, I had never had surgery before my VSG, I didnt even know what an hour under anesthetia would be like, but looking back (4 weeks post op) it was a piece of cake :) I entertained the fear because after all it IS rational but do so for a minute and then put all of your focus on the positive, and there is so much more of that!

I think I started losing it 3 weeks before surgery. I was scared, thinking silly things, "wouldnt it be sum sh** if I had a surgery to live longer and I croaked!" lol - really so many things went through my mind. The last week before surgery the excitement kicked it, but I kept it positive. I wrote down all the things I wanted to do as I began losing weight, like get on a roller coaster. This list helped. The day before surgery I cleaned house like I was getting paid for it lol, just kept busy.

Keep it positive and you will do great! Attitude goes a long way - congrats!

miciaRN
on 2/28/12 9:55 am - CA
VSG on 03/08/12
"wouldnt it be sum sh** if I had a surgery to live longer and I croaked!"

LOL that is exactly what I have been thinking. Thank you for your positive outlook. All of these posts are really helping to calm me down. 
Sally D.
on 2/28/12 9:30 am
VSG on 03/14/12
Im in your exact boat but my surgery is 3-14.  Im excited and freaking at the same time. I keep busy and try not to think about it. I know in another 13 days I will be even more scared. This website has been awesome. Everyone is so supportive!! Hang in there and will be taking this journey together!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views