Not a healthy fat girl all!

Michelle10929
on 3/6/12 7:16 am - NC
I knew my overall cholesterol was ok, but my hdl and ldl were off. Plus of course I knew I was diabetic. What I didn't know was that I have an elevated CRP level and I'm at a high risk for heart disease? Yikes guys! Add another big reason to get this done asap.. I'm only 40 with no family history of heart disease! 

So those of you that have had the surgery, have labs shown more healthy cholesterol levels, and overall heart health?
newme2011-2012
on 3/6/12 7:32 am
My cholesterol level dropped to 171 after always being about 230.
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

SuperRN597
on 3/6/12 7:35 am, edited 3/5/12 7:37 pm
Seeing bad numbers from our labs really does make us sit up and take notice...I know it did me. I just wanted to say that while CRP does have some indication for heart health, it's main indication is inflammation. CRP is elevated whenever there is an inflammatory response going on in your body...something as simple as OA (osteoarthritis) can make it go up. Most of us obese folks have OA from years of obesity and wear and tear to our joints, so I would not be overly alarmed or worried about the result. What is important is that you realize that you need to make a change and you're doing it.

Good luck to you on your journey and welcome to the beginning of the healthy side of life.

ETA: My labs all normalized. At 2 years out, my doctor said I had perfect labs...especially with my Vit D (apparently, many struggle with this one). I am "religious" about my supplements and following plan and it shows in my lab work.
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

SuperRN597
on 3/6/12 7:43 am
I should also add that my HDL improved (the rest of my lipids were good), my fasting blood glucose dropped into normal levels and my HgbA1C dropped back down below six (no more diabetes).  All the chronic problems I had prior to surgery have all corrected themselves and I no longer suffer from migranes, constant knee, foot and back pain, and edema.  Most importantly, I no longer suffer with constant pain from my fibromyalgia. 
 Sharon 
Consult date 1/11/10   Weight 398.5     Surgery date 3/1/10  Weight 374
HW 400+     CW 196.6    Dr. GW <200   My GW 150

Most Active