I think I'm becoming dairy-intolerant. -- ideas for non-dairy protein?

Fangirl_says
on 3/10/12 5:40 am, edited 3/9/12 5:59 pm - NC
I'm beginning to suspect I may be developing a dairy intolerance. I've noticed that whenever I eat dairy (which is often), my stomach immediately begins to cramp, and soon afterwards I have diarrhea.

I'm thinking I'll try going off dairy for awhile and see if things improve. The problem is -- it seems like most everything I eat has dairy in it. I still use whey protein powder in my coffee every day -- that's dairy. I love greek yogurt -- that's dairy. I love cheese -- that's dairy. And I love to have a glass of Carb Countdown milk now and then -- dairy!

As you can see, I use whey and/or dairy to meet my protein quotas on a daily basis. What can I do without dairy to keep my numbers up? I don't relish the idea of increasing the amount of chicken/fish/beef I eat every day, but I'm short on other ideas.

Help?

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I'm allergic to tree nuts, so I can't eat them. Peanuts/peanut butter are okay, but of course that's high in fat.

kam0520
on 3/10/12 6:30 am - AL
I use EAS AdvantEdge carb control protein shakes.  They are really the only ones that do not bother me.  I limit my cheese consumption to just a few ounces a day and that helps.  I also use Almond Milk instead of dairy milk because of the lactose and it has fewer calories.  

Good luck!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Fangirl_says
on 3/10/12 6:50 am - NC
I love the AdvantEdge protein shakes. Unfortunately, they don't love me. :(

kam0520
on 3/10/12 8:17 am - AL
:*(  I am sorry!  They have been great for me.  The whey "smell" on most powders just do not sit right for me.  I get a whiff and my stomach just turns.  

Good luck!
www.kasleeved.com the (almost) daily journey after VSG

Eat to live, don't live to eat.
Jamie_45
on 3/10/12 7:44 am - CA
VSG on 01/09/12
I use PB2 and it's 85% less fat.  You can use it as a powder to mix with other things or just add water and you have peanut butter!  I to cannot tolerate whey based protein drinks so my "go to" source of protein snack seems to be jerky. 

Fangirl_says
on 3/10/12 8:06 am - NC
Ooh, I can do jerky! Thanks for the idea. I've been meaning to try PB2 too, so this sounds like a good time to do so. :)

katier825
on 3/10/12 7:57 am
Have you tried Lactaid pills with your dairy products? I became lactose intolerant after my gallbladder was removed years ago. I am not bothered by all dairy products, mostly milk and ice cream. I rarely have either, but always take Lactaid with them (unless I have Lactaid milk).
Fangirl_says
on 3/10/12 8:07 am - NC
I'll try Lactaid! I'd much rather be able to eat my favorite dairy foods if I can. Thanks! :)

Hislady
on 3/10/12 8:18 am - Vancouver, WA
I second the lactaid it works great for me. For some reason even with my crap band I got lactose intolerence. Lactaid is a life saver, sometimes it will even help to take it after you eat the offending item, once in awhile I forget to take it before. It doesn't work quit as well afterwards but it'll ease the evil symptoms. Good luck hope it works for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 359 views