and the hair loss begins

carrierae
on 3/14/12 4:30 pm - WA
 its crazy. i was expecting it so i was looking for it for the last couple weeks. i did notice a little but it seemed like it wasnt much, i was guessing it was in my head and this was my normal shedding. that is until today. it just all of the sudden happened. hair everywhere! every time i ran my hand thru i would get a few hairs. then after swimming it was a handful of like 50 hairs. after my bath..bottom of tub coveed in hair. 

in a way i am kinda excited though. with all i put my hair thru i am looking forward to some new healthy hair to grow in.

mark today. 3 months, 3 weeks = hair loss.

Carrie   HW: 334/Preop Appt W: 328/SW: 313/CW: 2  
preop: -21lbs, month 1: -28lbs, month 2: -16lbs, month 3: -18lbs, month 4: -11lbs,
month 5: -11lbs, month 6: -7lbs, ...all the way down. NOTE: after slacking I got back on track in Nov (month 12) and have lost 16lbs so far!

prevsgcrys
on 3/14/12 4:43 pm - OH
your 3 weeks ahead of me and I am sooo nervous and waiting and watching..nothing yet..but I know its coming!
sleevegirl
on 3/14/12 4:48 pm - Austin, TX
It's normal. It still SUCKS. My loss started at 10 weeks and is pretty normal now at 8 months out. It was super heavy in month 5 and 6. I've got new growth popping out all over my head now though. I have to shellack it down every morning. LOL!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Talmani
on 3/14/12 8:45 pm - Phoenixville, PA
Mine started last week too at 3 months 1 week. At my 3 month check up the NP asked if I had any hair loss and I said no but I guess I just had to wait. Now to figure out how long until it stops!
Highest weight 265/ Surgery weight 256/ Goal weight 160   
Jillville
on 3/14/12 8:50 pm - Surrey, Canada
VSG on 04/16/12
I haven't had the surgery yet - though I just got my date today!!  I am worried about hair loss because I don't have a lot of hair to start with!!  It sounds to me though that the hair loss is temporary??  Does it always grow back eventually?
BlueSkyBlue
on 3/14/12 9:35 pm
VSG on 01/03/12
 I'm 3 months and one week also, and yes, hair is thinning at a alarming rate. But I don't care, I'd give it all up to be healthier and stronger. It's good to know that it'll pass, though. Good luck to all.

mycheeka1
on 3/14/12 10:01 pm
 Ok, now after reading this post. I am kinda freaking out. I haven't had surgery yet but I have thin hair on the top of my head already. What are we talking here? r we talking wigs or is it not that much? isnt there anything that we can do to lessen the effects? how long does this usually last? Thanks for the heads up(no pun intended).
SassyItalian
on 3/14/12 10:27 pm - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
Probably 2 or 3 months and it will stop, its soo annoying, in the brush, in the drain. I went thru a ton of draino!!

But it will stop and you will almost forget it happened. By then you will be looking even more healthy, no one will probably even notice!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Michelle10929
on 3/15/12 1:37 am - NC
I have that super fine thin hair too.. and I do NOT have any to spare lol. So, while I've been a little nervous about possible thinning spots, I am already prepared for some go to hair styles.

I already have 3 hats that I am KNOWN for wearing.. people even joke about how I am known for my hats. Heyyy... wearing one in my profile pic actually! haha. So for going out, I'm planning on wearing my hats as much as possible, and doing ponytails where I can manipulate the hair to cover any thinning areas, and the attach a hair extension if needed. NOT one of those icky pony tail clip ins with synthetic hair that you get at Kmart. Go to Sally's and get the individual strands with the clips. That way you can dye it to match your hair color, and I like being in control of the thickness. People know I have thin hair, I don't need to go walking in somewhere looking like I have a horse tail dangling off the back of my head. I want my hair to look as if nothing has changed at all.

AND.. this is the part I'm excited about...
I never cut my hair short because of my weight. I already have my short haircut picked out and ready to go for when I have some weight down, and my hair sprouts are coming back in :)

Oh, and for those of you who look at my picture and think.. ahh she has plenty of hair! LOL.. I am wearing my favorite hair piece in most of those pictures haha.
tscasto
on 3/15/12 1:56 am - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
I'm now totally freaked out! I'm having surgery the 22nd & have been told the only reason this happens is because you don't get your protein in. I have very thin hair especially on top & have been to dermatologist for it. apparently it's a genetic thing & all i can to do slow & /or stop it is rogaine. I can't wear hats or any type of head covering at work as it is against corp. policy.   Did all of you that say this is normal have issues getting in your protein ro is this truly the norm & my surgeon's staff didn't tell me??
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views