surgery criteria

rockymtnrobbi
on 4/24/12 11:49 am
VSG on 01/14/13
 Can anyone explain to me why there has to be comorbids in place if your BMI is not above a certain score? Why does something got to go wrong before something can be done?
Donna B.
on 4/25/12 1:57 am
hi,

i only had about 45 pounds to lose before vsg.  there were no doctors in the U.S. who were interested in consulting with me about vsg because of my low bmi.  however, i had lost and gained weight over and over and over again for the past 40 years.  i had food addiction, heart pain, joint pain, i was tired of being a slave to food, so i researched mexican doctors and their bmi requirement is lower than the standard in U.S., so i had vsg last year and i am thrilled with the result -- very small sleeve with 32F bougie oversewn, no infection, no leak, no pain except for discomfort, and this is the best i have done in all the years of trying to lose weight on my own.  There are several excellent doctors in mexico with a lot of WLS experience with spotless facilities.  Dr. Ortiz happens to be one of them.

If i had waited until i was 100 pounds overweight for surgery in the U.S. i would have died before getting that heavy.  So i am grateful that Dr. Ortiz saved my life.  What good would it have been for me to have seen a cardiologist for heart pain if i couldn't stop eating.

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views