Hypoglycemia

guynnm
on 4/26/12 2:36 pm, edited 4/26/12 3:16 pm - TN
Hi all,
Need some help. I haven't been on in quite some time. I am three years out and still love my sleeve BUT I have developed over the last couple of months severe hypoglycemia. I have been diagnosed but still being worked up to find out the cause or if it is just my surgery.  If I don't eat every 2.5-3 hours I get very weak, shaking inside and out.  Any one else have this development? I'm trying to be careful what I eat but so much different info out there and I sure don't want to gain back my 100 lb loss.  I am checking my sugar six times a day at the moment, but this is scarey sometimes.

Sorry so long but would help to know if if anyone else developed this.

Thanks
Mary
a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWnv6C8/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wWnv6C8/s->

ND2BTHN
on 4/26/12 8:45 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Hi. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia before surgery. It is definitely an awful feeling. After surgery, I haven't had any issues so far, such as the shaking and urgent need to eat something sweet, for fear of passing out. I have felt somewhat sick sensations about 2-3 hours after eating lately, but that is because I have recently went off my POI, which I think I need to extend. 

I see that your surgery was in 09. You must be in maintenance by now. Have you let in any of your old foods or habits creep back into your diet by chance? My symptoms were caused by my sugar levels spiking and dropping suddenly. I was very sensitive to refined carbs, and sugars. I had to follow the glycemic index to help me know which foods where high in carbs and natural sugars. The lower the number, the better. I was surprised to see that many fruits and vegetables which we think are good for us can effect you just as much as a cookie can. So I stick to the low glycemic ones, and I have done much better.

This is even more important now with the sleeve because the food doesn't stay as long in our little stomachs as it used too, which can cause it to empty quickly if it isn't dense enough and the carbs quickly digest into sugar, which cause your sugars to rise suddenly, and drop 2-3 hours later. This is not something to play with. You must find the source of what is spiking your sugars. Analyze and record everything you are eating, drinking, how far apart, even condiments, and when your symptoms occur. Once you know your triggers, it will be much easier to manage. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
guynnm
on 4/27/12 12:23 am - TN
Thanks for replying.  I have just reached my goal weight, and I haven't went back to old habits on a regular basis. I do get a little nuts sometimes and eat things I shouldn't, thus the long time to reach my goal, but since hypoglycemia developed I am having to be very careful of what I eat and when.  There is so much information out there about it, but a lot of conflicting information. I have a meter and check my sugar before and after meals and when I get up in the morning and before bed, to be sure it is high enough I don't have a crash during the night.   I was also surprised about the fruit thing, I ate bananas all the time and then learned it is the first fruit to eliminate under these cir****tances which was very surprising. 

I would very much like to know how many people developed this as far out as I am or anytime after their surgery.

Thanks for responding!!
Mary

loverofcats
on 4/27/12 3:27 am, edited 4/27/12 3:27 am
This is another reason to always, always have protein with any carbs that you eat. Staying away from simple carbs will also help, as well eating every 2-3 hours.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

NanaDebby65
on 4/27/12 12:13 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I became hypoglycemic after WLS but mine started much earlier. It started when I was about 3-4 months post-op.

I too have to eat every 2-3 hours and I HAVE to eat before exercise. My sugars crash quickly when I'm being active, so I REALLY have to watch this!! It took a while to figure out what was going on. I didnt realize it was my blood sugars that was causing the issues. It took passing out at work and a visit to a local minor emergency center to figure it out (BS was 53).

It took a while to adjust my eating and checking my sugars regularly before we (PCP and I) came up with a plan. It has worked like a charm and if I have a sugar cra****'s usually because I'm out running errands and forget to eat. Once you get an eating plan in place and stick to it religiously hopefully you will not have the "crashes".

Now I have to say even though I am "religous" about my eating plan, I do occasionally have a full sugar/fat treat but I always make sure it is after protein. "Bad" carbs alone cause the BS to spike quickly and then drop quickly. So beware!! 

Even though I have this issue, I have absolutely no regrets with my sleeve. Good Luck and keep posting about your progress with hypoglycemia. I think this is invaluable information to share!!

Debby
HW: 228/GW: 140/CW: 134    
guynnm
on 4/27/12 1:07 pm - TN

Thanks Debby for replying, I am checking my blood sugar regularly and having to be sure to eat every 3 hours or so or I start with the bad shakes, I hope I can get a handle on it as it is scarey. I have done a lot of research over the last couple of weeks and seems this happens more with bypass surgery but guess it can happen with any bariatric procedure just not as often with sleeve, but hopefully awareness of the issue is important for everyone having weight loss surgery. I sure didn't expect a problem at this late date.  As you, I have no regrets about my surgery.

Again thanks for your response

Mary

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views