Protein shakes help!

MONI0919
on 5/13/12 10:51 am - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with
I can't drink my protein they are too sweet,  is there any proteing that is not that sweet,  i read that some of you put that on you meal, what type of protein are you taking?  this will be my  3 week after,

I'm worry to  start loosing my hair ,  at this stage im on the Pureed diet  for now and into one month, my doctor did not said anything about proteing but i read here that is a + to start taking it  I can't  it taste too sweet, please help, Im taking the atking  17 grm    but  now after the surgery i just cant :(

ThinVoyage
on 5/13/12 11:01 am - CA
VSG on 09/06/11 with
What kind of protein you are drinking? Have you tried Premier from Costco?

HW - 390; SW - 308; CW - 215               
MONI0919
on 5/13/12 11:04 am - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with

Im taking atkins that is the one  my doct office told me about, is already made and sold on walmart  

atkins is 160 calories  15g or protein

I have not try any other yet,

Kelly-AnneH
on 5/13/12 11:05 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Costco carries unflavoured whey protein that tastes fine to me when mixed into chicken broth (not too hot). I use a broth concentrate called Better Than Bullion - it comes in chicken, vegetable and beef flavoured and I think it's delicious.
I agree about the endless sweet stuff. Sometimes you just need a break.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Elaine2
on 5/13/12 11:51 am - Atlanta, GA
There are literally thousands of ready made and powdered protein out there. There are over 700 listed in the Nutrition Site here. Many have comments. You need to start sampling some different types if you haven't done so already. Premier RTD from Costco seems to be really popular.

Except for the unflavored that allot of folks use, most are pretty sweet. It's really important to find one that is tolerable for you. IMO, you don't have to love it---just tolerate it. Consider it to be medicine, if necessary. As long as it doesn't make you sick, keep using the ones you have until you find a replacement.  This is not meant to be cruel...just some practical advise as you start your protein search. Assuming you've got your fluids under control and are starting on pureeds, it's time to start building those protein stats.

Good luck.

MONI0919
on 5/14/12 8:18 am - Bayonne, NJ
VSG on 04/25/12 with
thank you , I called the doctor  and   I have to be drinking more liquid, I cant even taste that  protein shake, ill be bringing to my doctor the one I use before the operation,  im feeling very  tired, Im not in cream soup and they said pure diet trying to eat some cereal fine grain,  and the water I still not drinking much,

let me take it easy and wait on the protein,,

thank you all

Jane B.
on 5/13/12 12:10 pm - Strathmore, Canada
VSG on 01/11/12 with
Unjury also makes an unflavored protein which isn't too bad.  They also have a protein chicken soup.  I find their shakes quite sweet, but the unflavored isn't bad at all to be added to whatever you can.  I haven't tried the chicken soup one yet. 

You can order sample packs from them so you can try them before you go buying in large quantities.

Good luck with it.

Jane
HW: 243 SW:228 GW:160
"I want to really live, not just be putting in time"    

amandataylor0819
on 5/14/12 3:55 am
had that same problem with the Atkins shakes post op....I make my own with Jillian Michaels whey protein powder from wal-mart (about $10 a container) and skim milk...the vanilla is great and I am not really a chocolate fan but absolutely LOVE her chocolate powder....its 15 g protein per scoop plus whatever is in your milk or anything else you add to it....I did a banana and a little vanilla frozen yogurt in my shake this morning, yum! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views