Vitamin B12 Deficiency Anemia POST OP

LngRedRose
on 5/17/12 12:56 am
After researching all of this for two days.. I am learning more and more and it makes me really angry that my doc or NUT didn't tell me this!

Hugs, Karen R. (Mom to TWELVE incredible kids)
Louisiana 

collegefootballmom79
on 5/16/12 3:14 am - Hutto, TX
VSG on 10/05/10 with
My B12 was low before surgery and remains that way.  I use the B12 sublingual dots one 500mcg everyday.  Very sweet so I consider it a treat. 

Ashley O.
on 5/16/12 4:28 am
i take a b12 shot once a month as well. I'm surprized they didn't tell you to add that to your vitamin regimen before your levels got low...?

anemia would be low iron... i don't know when they're put together if its different... but are you taking iron too, now? or no..?

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

jennygalthin n
on 5/16/12 4:40 am
our stomach is responsible for the intrisic factor which is necessary for iron production in a long process. .. so since part of our stomach is gone... will lack the intrisic factor and it must be supplemented in our diets.. lifelong

Ms Shell
on 5/16/12 5:21 am - Hawthorne, CA
All my research preop definitely tells that B-12 and Calcium and very much the MOST important vitamins/supplements to take post op.  We no longer generate the intrinic factor in our stomachs which is needed in order to create/absorb vitamin B-12 which is doubly why we NEED to supplement with the sublingual b-12 pills.

MS Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

LngRedRose
on 5/17/12 12:59 am
I just read that it also helps with metabolism and weight loss.  Hmmmmm could I be on to something here??  And the energy benefits... omword... if it just gives me back my energy I will be in heaven.

Louisiana 

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/12 5:46 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
I have issues with my ferritin (and protein).  I would say  "after surgery" except no one knew ever thought to pull my  ferritin before surgery.

I take my B12 sublingually and have had good B12 levels for all my labs so far. 

If the B12 is not  helpful for  your anemia situation, there are a group of "rules" for what to not take  your iron with so that it absorbs best.

Good luck, girlie!!

ALSO.. I am finding out that anemia can be related to a copper deficency too, so, I do not know of  your doctor pulls those labs ?
LngRedRose
on 5/17/12 1:00 am
Thanks for the heads up!  I am going to call and see if he pulled labs for that... if not, I will gladly (well not really gladly) donate another vial of blood just for that!! 

Louisiana 

countrytat
on 5/16/12 10:05 am - OH
VSG on 01/31/12
my body never absorbed b-12 before surgery, so I have been taking b-12 shots for about 5 years now....it can mess with your nervous system and you mind, so you want to stay on top of it.  My B-12 levels after surgery are very good, and I just do the monthly shot. Its called pernicious (sp) anemia.

LngRedRose
on 5/17/12 1:01 am
My anemia is folic acid anemia.  is that the same thing as pernicious?

Louisiana 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views