Covering the sleeve....

S M.
on 5/22/12 2:42 pm
 Hello All ! I have to ask about insurers that cover the sleeve because Medicare won't cover it. Have any of you found an insurance company that is NOT through an employer/ self pay/ individual plan that will cover VSG? And if you have Medicare, is this even an option? Thank you. I am very SET on having the Sleeve over the lapband or RNY (which they DO cover), but trying very hard to avoid $13,000 to have it. Don't even know if I will get the loan I applied for at this point to self pay. If you have had any experience with these issues, PLEASE contact me. I need to act soon. THANK YOU
Cyn9
on 5/22/12 2:51 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12
 my INS started covering the slever like 3 weeks b4 i asked to have it
S M.
on 5/22/12 3:14 pm
 Which insurance do you have? I can't find any that I can self pay for. Since I have Medicare, every supplemental insurance I look into is following the same Medicare guidelines, which means they wont cover the sleeve either since Medicare won't. If I can find one that will let me buy an individual plan even ON medicare separately, I will pay their premiums, even if they are high, to avoid such a large amount for Self pay/cash option. Just racking my brain, searching EVERYWHERE for ANY options besides a loan from my bank. Congrats on your sleeve btw
(deactivated member)
on 5/22/12 3:26 pm
 Hi gypsychyk79, I'm in Illinois and Medicare and Medicaid cover the sleeve. Don't know why they said they didn't but I'm sure of it here.  Maybe you should call medicare to find out for sure.  i hope this helps.
S M.
on 5/22/12 3:40 pm
 Thank you. Medicare does not cover the sleeve at all from what they tell me, they also just sent out a memo about non coverage at this time because they were reconsidering it but ultimately decided not to right now. Only clinical trials which nobody is doing in this country apparently. North Carolina medicaid only follows what Medicare does, so they don't cover it here either. I have heard of a few, like yourself, that have had coverage in other places. Kind of confused about why they are saying No to us in NC. Even every surgeon's office in the area tells me a flat NO, they won't cover it, when I call them.  I get lots of "sorry" responses. I will keep looking though. Seems like if Medicare covered yours, it should be a universal coverage policy. Confusing. All I can do is keep asking.  Thanks. 
fromNOT2HOT
on 5/22/12 10:47 pm - SC
Can't help with the insurance issue, but wanted to mention Dr. Morris Washington in Conway, SC (just outside of Myrtle Beach). He has a self-pay special of $8000 whi*****ludes his surgical fee and follow-up for 90 days, all hospital fees and endoscopy and bloodwork prior to surgery. He did my surgery in early February and he and his staff have been exceptional! There is a good thread on Vertical Sleeve Talk about him if your interested. I have lost 60 pounds and could not be happier!
Hislady
on 5/23/12 6:15 am - Vancouver, WA
Another issue is that self insurance is extremely expensive. We have a self pay thru my hubby's retirement and it is over $900 a month just for my part!! And it doesn't cover bariatric services. It'd be cheaper to just save that much money and self pay. I understand your frustration as I'm in the same boat and all I can see to do is hang on till medicare OKs it, which hopefully will be in the next few years. I wish you the best and if you find a way around it let us all know!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views