How do you deal with feeding your family while sleeved?

S M.
on 5/22/12 2:45 pm
 Hey guys. Very curious about eating with other people. I will still be cooking for and feeding my man and my 12 year old every day, so I am very anxious about how this will work out once I get VSG. How do you handle taking care of your family which eats "normally" if you can't?
Cyn9
on 5/22/12 2:54 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12
 i started feeding my man what i can eat,  he felt deprived of carbs, i told him he was addiceted to them,  he no longer complains, i have created interesting small meals,  i feed him when i eat,  and that can be every 2-3 hrs,  he is liking the healthier ways....  im sure u wount get that coorperation from a 12yr old boy
S M.
on 5/22/12 3:10 pm
 Thank you for your reply. It is a good idea for ALL of us to eat better, so you are doing a good thing and I will probably try the same thing. But, you are right, my 6th grader will NOT be on board for my new ways of eating, so I don't know how this will pan out....
newme2011-2012
on 5/22/12 3:14 pm
I cook everything like normal just like I did before. We always ate very healthy. I just eat the protien and veggie. My problem was the amount I ate not what I ate.
The sleeve is perfect for that.
I have a hubby and two teenage girls so they have to eat..
Julie
  Highest weight 330 - GW 150  

S M.
on 5/22/12 4:13 pm
 We don't eat very healthy, so it needs to change all around. Boyfriend is overweight, I am obviously in need of WLS, and my son is 12 but just starting to gain weight. He is very sedentary no matter what we try to FORCE him to do that is active. Always a struggle. I DO NOT want my son to have weight and health issues because of our habits, so I plan on getting him healthier with diet and (unfortunately forced) exercise, but I worry about the small amounts I will be eating, the foods I can no longer have, and how I am going to incorporate MY new eating with their more normal meals. After you have the sleeve, is it horrible to watch other people eat more than you? Do you crave MORE? Get hungry because you are preparing their food? Does anyone start to resent cooking, preparing, serving food to the family while eating differently? How do you deal with that? I am hoping the sleeve will help me adjust like other people say, but cant help from worrying about it
EliseG
on 5/22/12 4:14 pm - MA
I'm newly post-op, but so far I just make a larger portion of what I am eating for hubs. He will usually eat some white rice with it, which he just throws in the rice cooker.

Stayce
on 5/22/12 9:35 pm
VSG on 03/28/12
 I started cooking healthier all around for everyone. Although I do have a picky 13 year old, so I will adjust his menu to his liking. It's not that you can't eat, it's just that your portion size will be limited. Don't make a lot of work for yourself, your family will adjust along with you. 

Good luck!
 Life is not an emergency, live one day at a time.        
momsy55
on 5/22/12 10:07 pm - ME
Most of the time, I cook the same thing for the whole family.  I make some type of carb - potatoes, rice, pasta or use rolls for burgers.  They eat that stuff and I just take 1-2 TBLS or none of it.  The protein and veggie/salad part of the meal is what I eat.  I've even made dishes like baked ziti and put some of the filling in a separate baking dish for me, then mixed the rest with the pasta and baked it for the rest of the family.  On the rare nights that they are eating something that I'm not able to adjust for me, like last night, I'll have leftover chicken or some chili from the container I typically keep in the house for those times.  It gets easier as you go along.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

fran67
on 5/22/12 11:21 pm - NJ
VSG on 03/08/12
Check out skinnytaste.com. I have a 13yr old and he and my husband has liked everything I've made from there so far. If the dish has rice or noodles, I don't eat them but they can and of course, my portion is much smaller than theirs but still really good!

4' 11" HW 218 SW 214 Original Goal of 125 in 8.5 mos Lowest Weight 119 CW 133 Trying to get back in the 122-128 range 

jadelet
on 5/22/12 11:29 pm
I sat down with my husband who was a little leery but supportive of my new self, and explained to him that I didn't want the kids to have to go through what I did to have a healthy body. He got it. The only way to do that effectively was change us all. We started by picking the healthier things we ate and focusing mostly on those meals, saving the 'treats' for fridays. As someone above said, I stuck with the protien and the veggie and let them supplement with the starchy carbs. So a typical meal was: Chicken breasts marinated in italian dressing on the foreman grill, asparagus with olive oil and monterey steak seasoning on the grill pan, and Idahoan Red Buds mashed potatoes (I have like 15 minutes to get dinner on the table typically). I ate like 1/2 a chicken breast, and a few spears of asparagus, and they had normal portions of each plus the potatoes. You don't have to start only serving Quinoa and tofu to eat healthy, don't worry, just really think through what you're putting on your plates. I'm SURE theres a spectrum to the healthiness of what you eat, stick to the better side and work your way healthy from there. Maybe make the meat you prefer, but the sides they prefer, and keep some leftover veggies on hand to feed yourself.

Sometimes I do have to feed my family differently than I eat. For example, when they eat pizza, I seldom join in cause its just not worth it, so I have to make myself something or heat up leftovers. Sometimes its irritating. But, the way I feel is totally worth it, and every day we get a little closer to everyone eating healthier and me making less different foods.

Like everything worth changing, its a process.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.?

HW: 280   SW: 277 CW: 196

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views