Snacking on sunflower seeds to control urge to eat

Could_It_Be
on 6/6/12 7:04 am
 This just rang a bell with me- I *think* we were not supposed to eat any seeds for a period right after surgery. I can't remember 

VSG on 6/22/11
cozmo98
on 6/6/12 8:21 am - GA
yeah I love sunflower seeds but I could eat an entire bag and never feel full so I'm better off w/ pistachios because they feel me up quick! Healthy snacks are always better than allowing your urges to get the best of you though

RockinMama
on 6/6/12 10:56 pm - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12

I looked up the nutrition facts for pistachio nuts and they are off the chart.  Seems to be less healthier than sunflower seeds.  I'm I missing something?

5'7 CW:  306 SW: 300        
USAF Wife
on 6/6/12 11:31 pm
This is just my opinion and my experience:

Snacking be it pre-op, post-op, losing stage, maintenance can be detrimental and here is why;

1) It's a behavior, it's justification to just mindlessly eat and not bother addressing the "why" we just want to eat.

2) During the losing stage, calories in, calories in, a regimen is key. If you've read around here long enough, you've read that those of us who are further out, try our best to avoid snacking. Some are able to snack, I get that, YAY they don't have that issue. But, you stated, that it's an "urge to eat" even when you aren't hungry. I can tell you I haven't felt real physical hunger post-op. I eat because I have to, so if you're going to snack when you aren't really hunger, post-op, it's just calories that your body doesn't need. For me, it doesn't matter if it's sunflower seeds or a slice of cake. It's calories. I can't justify it enough to not rectify the behavior.

3) The further out you get; Life happens. Established habits get me through those days of just eating for the hell of it. As much as I want to say, I AM STRONG enough, I'm not. Cheetos go down just as easy as sunflower seeds. And, let's be honest, cheetos are more tasty than sunflower seeds. I can chow down 500 calories of cheetos in a matter of an hour and feel zero restriction, and not even realize it until my finger**** the bottom of the empty bag.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if it's a strategy that works for you then far be it for anyone to dissuade you from doing it.But, be aware of what could happen post-op, a year out, 3 years out.  I was never a snacker pre-op. I didn't really snack through my maintenance stage. Pregnancy is an ugly monster sometimes and I picked up snacking, and let me be 100% honest, it's the most difficult behavior I have ever dealt with in my 3 years post-op. I have Tatum to chase after, life happenings, and it's so much easier for me to grab a "snack" and go instead of eating a full meal. I seriously hate it. 

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views