really really struggling..

tammy K.
on 6/7/12 12:23 pm - calgary, Canada
Kevin i have had so much counseling but obviously it isn't enough that for sure, cuz i am really in a rut.  a big one.. like i on my way back up i fear.
  kindness is the nicest thing....          
MyOwnSunshine
on 6/7/12 12:23 pm
Here are my suggestions:

1. Counseling -- you need to figure out why you went back to your old habits and need to figure out how to not do it again in the future.

2.  Dense Protein -- eat dense protein first at every meal.

3.  Eat Clean & Healthy -- eat lean, dense proteins, fruits, vegetables and low fat dairy.  Cut out all the white/processed carbs.

4.  Track Your Intake -- Track every single thing that you put in your mouth every single day.

5.  Exercise Intensely -- Exercise intensely, meaning cardio and weights, 3 to 4 times a week.

There isn't a magic formula that will cure you.  Weight loss and maintenance is simply a string of consistent behaviors that provide the results you want.  Conversely, weight gain is the result of another set of behaviors.  You choose the behaviors that you engage in every day.  If you eat small portions of healthy foods, burn calories and build muscle through exercise you will lose.  The biggest challenge is figuring out why you are choosing to engage in behaviors that result in weight gain.  Counseling really helps, and I can't imagine going through this process without it.
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
tammy K.
on 6/7/12 12:29 pm - calgary, Canada
I can't tell you how touched i was that you wrote me such an extensive post.  It was very kind of you and i really appreciate this.  i really had to reach out.  Tammy
MyOwnSunshine
on 6/7/12 12:35 pm
I've struggled a bit as I'm nearing goal.  It's really hard to reel it back in once you've started to stray.  I really get that.

For me, I just really started re-focusing on the behaviors.  I have become fascinated with thin (non-WLS) people and notice that they do the same thing we do.  There aren't very many people out there who eat whatever they want, lay on the couch all day and remain thin.  It doesn't work that way.

People who want to be thin and fit eat small portions of healthy food and exercise regularly.  People who are fat eat a lot of high-calorie processed food and lay on the couch.  Choose your side.  I'm choosing the skinny side. 

Please come to www.myfitnesspal.com and friend me (same screen name).  We have a great group over there and really focus on positive support and building consistent behaviors.  It really helps me when I'm struggling, and really buoys my spirits when I'm rockin' it. 
" I am not at all concerned with appearing to be consistent. In my pursuit after Truth I have discarded many ideas and learnt many new things."  Ghandi            
Elaine2
on 6/7/12 12:24 pm, edited 6/7/12 12:25 pm - Atlanta, GA
Well, it looks like you're 2+ years out. We had our surgery around the same time. Certainly started out a different weights. A 91 # loss is great.

But you can get back on track. I suggest---
----Find a counselor and work on the head issues. We all have them. That's an ongoing process.
----Track your food starting tomorrow. Every morsel that goes in your mouth. Use myfitnesspal.com or livestrong or one of the other programs (free). You can't know where you are---cals, protein, carbs, etc, if you don't track it.
----Minimum of 64 oz of fluids---more is better
----Look at your original food plan (always my recommendation). I use 600-800 cals, 80 g protein (60 minimum); less than 40 g carbs (I use  less than 30)
----Minimum of 30 mins of exercise everyday---walk, jump rope, hula hoop, aerobics, weight lifting, whatever you will do.

Sounds like allot but it's the basics. Those bad habits will only grow if you don't stop now. Get that excitement and focus back that you had in the early days. PM me if you want to talk further.

tammy K.
on 6/7/12 12:30 pm - calgary, Canada
Sincerely thank you so much for this post.  Tammy
Happy966
on 6/7/12 1:24 pm

Tammy, I am wondering if you are depressed.  I have struggled with depression, and while getting *un*depressed didn't solve all my food problems, I needed some help to get out the black hole I was in.

I can only share with you what has helped me.  When I go off track, I do whatever I can to get in one good day.  I don't worry about calories as much as low carbs and just getting through one day.  Sometimes I have to commit my food to someone for the day, in advance.

I weigh-measure-record my food.  This helps because if I'm going to eat X (like nuts), then I have to measure out and know what I'm eating.  It helps me from say, "to hell with it" and eating the whole can.

I hope this helps.  ((Hugs))

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Donna B.
on 6/8/12 8:49 am
I agree with the above excellent responses.  

You need concrete strategies to deal with temptation, physical hunger, and head hunger. 

If you are eating foods that you find hard to control the quantity you eat, these problem foods for you should be avoided completely.  Feeding these favorite high fat/high carbohydrate foods -- often unhealthy foods -- is like feeding strays.  The more you feed these craving/urges, the more they will come back to you.  

Also, don't drink your calories unless it is a protein drink. 

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views