Tailbone pain

RHCP
on 6/17/12 11:45 pm - Poughkeepsie, NY
I was aware after weight loss most people experience tailbone pain but was told that it does go away after a few months. I'm 13 mo since surgery.

I have been experiencing horrible pain- sometimes it is so bad it wakes me up from a deep sleep in the middle of the night- and that's with taking a Ambien. When it's hurting and I move I sometimes scream out in pain it hurts me so bad. (I usually have a very high tolerance for pain- so it's really bad pain for me.)

Anyone else experiencing really bad tailbone pain like this?

I am going to make a appointment with a orthopedic- but is there anything they could really do about it?

Also looking into getting a ****yx pillow to sit o- did you get one and will it help?

Thanks!

TexasProud
on 6/18/12 1:49 am - Frisco, TX
I am 7 months out and have been experiencing tailbone pain, too. I just am very aware of how i sit. Most of the time, it's really straight and leaning foward a bit. NEVER leaning back. I did buy a ****yx pillow to sit on. It really helps take the pressure off when your sitting for an extended period of time. The severity of the pain comes and goes for me. Hopefully it will go away soon. I don't like it!! I hope you get some relief soon! 

emelar
on 6/18/12 2:31 am - TX
Wow.  If it's waking you up out of sleep, that's severe.  Definitely see your doc.

I still have tailbone pain if I sit too long, and yes, the ****yx cushion helps a lot.  The cut-out in the cushion lets your tailbone just hang suspended without pressure.  I didn't take it with me on a plane trip on Saturday because it was just a short ride, and I was mentally kicking myself for leaving it behind.

Hope you find relief.  I know that some plastic surgeons have injected fat around the tailbone to replace the padding.  And I think someone on the RNY board got their tailbone removed or reduced, but that sounded like an extreme and not always successful option.
RHCP
on 6/18/12 3:36 am - Poughkeepsie, NY

Thanks girls!

Waking me up out of my sleep almost nightly has really been frustrating- and painful! I wake up and can feel it aching- and when I move- OH MY GOD the pain is almost unbearable!

You made me hopeful possible injection- or at least the thought that there is at least something hopefully they could do- cause most people were like oh it's your tailbone they can't do anything for that!

amandataylor0819
on 6/18/12 4:23 am
please see your doctor and have it checked out...had the same issue and turns out I have bone spurs along the end of my spine....nothing they can do (non-surgically, that is) but I did do some physical therapy where I learned some tricks to sit properly and I do yoga 3 nights a week which has made all the difference in the world...I am no longer taking any sort of medication for the discomfort whereas I was on quite a bit! Best of luck to you...

RHCP
on 6/18/12 4:31 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
OH geeze..bone spurs! OUCH! I'm sorry..OH I hope it's not that! I made a appointment today.

I did Yoga for about a month- loved it but there were times I could not do poses and stuff BC they were on our backs and my tailbone hurt so bad-I would get so mad!

THANK YOU!

LucyLinc
on 6/19/12 2:30 am - NY
 OMG I was just passing thru the boards and I saw this post.  When I was in the hospital after surgery I can remember thinking my tailbone hurts...and I tucked that thought away.  Now yesterday I finally made a drs. appointment because my tailbone is killing me.  My butt is even a little bruised.  I've been making a joke of it that they must have dropped me during surgery but I had no idea it was something this common for VSG'ers.  Another reason why I love these boards.  I'll pass along what I learn from the dr. when I see him.  Good luck everyone, I hope you get relief...I know its pretty awful.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views