So I cheated ....

Madjhav12
on 6/22/12 10:37 am - FL
VSG on 06/25/12
3 days away from my surgery and I caved today. I don;t even know if I can have the surgery now. After only protein all day and down twn pounds in ten days I had medium fries from McDonald's and a handful of strawberries. (Yuck for the fries). Has anyone cheated before so close to surgery and no probems?

"Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations."    
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/12 10:44 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
A lot of people have. Just try to make sure those last 24-48 hours you don't cheat. Shrink your liver as much as you can. I have known some people who had huge last meals the night before surgery. They got to have surgery, but they paid for it it seems like with a harder recovery and lots of dry heaving. Good luck
roobi
on 6/22/12 10:44 am

I did.

I had about 6 weeks when I knew I would be scheduled for surgery. I was supposed to lose at least 10lbs before then.  Of course what did I do? I binged for about 4 weeks straight and gained 10lbs! ha! Then 2 weeks before I went on what was supposed to be an all liquid diet, but I ended up doing two shakes and soup/egg for dinner. I lost that 10lbs but it only put me at the weight I should've been at anyway.

Then in a moment of weakness 2 days before my surgery I had a medium fry and jr. whopper from burger king.  :( I was told by my doctor to take a laxative a couple of days before surgery.  I was told the reason is that if there is food in your intestines it can excerbate gas issues.  I did not have any issues, thank goodness. But, like you I was very scared.  

A. Hartford
on 6/22/12 10:44 am - KS
I totally cheated about 4 days from surgery... had 2 grilled chicken wraps from mcdonalds and a few fries... i just couldnt stand to starve anymore! Im now 7 days post op and no surgical complications! Time to get back on track though!!

Best wishes!
Amber
beckyinkc
on 6/22/12 2:04 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
Heyyyy we have the same surgeon!!  Glad to hear you're doing well. :) 

Pobearsam7
on 6/22/12 10:44 am
It's hard but hang in there.... My vsg is on 6-27 and I've cheated the last couple of days had a plain cracker... It's hard to do a 2 wk diet on liquid only. I know once I have the surgery next week I won't cheat because I know when I'm recovering from something medically my appetite always go down....
happyteacher
on 6/22/12 11:18 am
 I did.  I am not proud of it, but it was unnecessary to reschedule the surgery.  Just keep trying :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

cece58
on 6/22/12 1:11 pm - CA
The reason to lose weight before surgery is to reduce the size of your liver to make the surgery easier for the surgeon. Some surgeons (mine for example) don't regularily put patients on a pre surgery diet unless they have an extremely  high BMI. I think that a slight cheat isn't going to harm you much but you should really try to understand that the surgery is only going to be a tool to help you lose weight. If you are not completely committed you might really be disappointed. If you could stay on a calorie restricted diet forever you wouldn't need to have the benefit of surgery. I think you shouldn't worry about the frys but think about how you will stay committed after the surgery. Good luck. 
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

ashley J.
on 6/22/12 3:00 pm - CA
VSG on 06/25/12
I am having my surgery on Monday.. . Today I had a slice of pizza I had already eaten my healthy meal for the day so def no no. I didn't do my third protein shake today to sorta try to make up for it. I am just trying to stay as focussed as possible these next two days.

Good luck!!!

HW:315 SurgeryW:297 CurrentW:212.4 GoalW:165**M1:-25  M2:-18 M3: -13.2 M4: -13.8 M5: -4.4  M6: -7.2  M7:-3   M8: -0   M9:   M10:   M11:    1 Year Out: 

Weekly weigh-in numbers located in OH Profile area
 Blog:   http://www.ashleysweightjourney.blogspot.com

puttin4birdie
on 6/23/12 3:51 am, edited 6/23/12 3:52 am
My surgeon did not require a preop diet at all and told me to have a nice meal the night before surgery but nothing after midnight. It all depends on your particular situation.

He did say no binge eating before surgery to ensure that the liver was not enlarged.
VSG on 6/6/2012    
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views