Dehydration

jenngirl
on 7/13/12 12:37 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Does anyone know when you are too dehydrated. I don't want to cause medical issues. But I am 2 1/2 weeks out and am not getting enough liquids. I know that I am dehydrated because I have extremely dry mouth and dark urine, and am extremely fatigued. My doctor's office didn't seem too concerned. Just told me to amp up the Gatorade G2. Any advice. Anyone been there, done that?
MizzEvil
on 7/13/12 12:52 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
I think your symptoms are pretty common. I remember at 2.5 weeks out I was pretty tired, sluggish. My urine was dark, and I only had small amounts when I'd go (only a few times a day). My skin and lips were super dry. I'd get light headed fairly easy, especially because it is super hot where I live and always sunny. It does get better in time, just keep plugging along. I know it's hard, but I often feel like I have my water bottle attached to my lips at all times. Even at almost 4 months out, whenever I sit at my desk, I stick my water bottle right infront of me as I'm typing things. I still get dry mouth and dark urine a lot, but no fatigue.
But, you know your body better then anyone else, and if you feel that you absolutely need fluids/help - call your doc or go to UC/ER.

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/13/12 1:38 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
The veins on the backs of my hands turn into threads or even disappear, I get falling over tired and can't think. It's happened twice, first time being while we were traveling home from San Diego after my surgery. It was scary, so I really try to pay attention to my fluid level.

Everyone is different, of course, but personally I find I can get more down if the beverage is either hot (herbal tea or broth) or cold (anything with ice in) than room temperature.

I'm finding it helps me to break it up a bit. I aim for 2 cups by breakfast, 2 more before lunch, 2 more before supper and my last 2 before bed. It's a bit anal, but trying to play catch up is just too hard with our tiny tummies.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

kitsyb
on 7/13/12 1:59 am - Mobile, AL
VSG on 01/23/12
I was dehydrated at 2 weeks out.  I was scheduled for my first post-op visit with surgeon and I had to get out of the shower a couple of times just to sit down on the toilet before I passed out.  When I went to my appointment, they put me right into the ER.  Once I got the "banana" bag full of fluids (called that because it was long and yellow), I was good to go.  Haven't even come close to dehydration since then.  Good luck and sip, sip, sip!

KB1964
on 7/13/12 4:40 am
The first month I lived on SF Popsicles I could consume more liquid that way. I even took them to work with me. After about a month I was able to start consuming more liquids. It gets better.
Carmelita
on 7/13/12 5:02 am - Four Corners, NM
jenngirl
on 7/13/12 5:10 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Thanks everyone! I think I will have to check out those electrolyte pops, and freezing Gatorade or making slushies out of it. That sounds really good. I hadn't thought of it! And the reducing inflammation sounds good too! Its a tow-fer!  I saw some nifty little gadget that makes slushies out of beverages in minutes, so I will have to check that guy out! I try really hard to get my fluids in. My boss told me it looks like I have a drinking problem with all of the cups of ice, and water and gatorade, etc. on my desk.
morgans
on 7/13/12 9:46 am
VSG on 06/18/12
My favorite - Crystal Light Peach Tea popsicles. Make 'em yourself. I also chewed a lot of ice. Now I FORCE myself to drink at least in the neighborhood of 40 oz of water plus the liquids I get with my shakes so I'm feeling much better.

Suck on ice cubes or popsicles all day if you have to.

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/12 9:36 am
Thanks for this post and the responses!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views