One week post op tomorrow

nanarama
on 7/15/12 7:36 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
I know last Sunday I was scouring these boards and basically only reading the "good" stuff.  haha  Hopefully, if anybody is doing the same thing, I can help with some fears you might be having.

Last Monday, I was scheduled for a 1:00 p.m. report time to Univ. of PA.  Checked in, waited a bit and then was taken to prep area.  Husband joined me after IV was in and then they whisked me away.  I was only awake in the OR for about 10 mins before they knocked me out.  I was not at all afraid of NOT waking up.  I was more afraid of waking up nauseated, vomiting, etc.

To shortcut this (so it's not ten pages long), let me just say I have had a fairly easy time of this whole process.  I did not wake up sick at all.  Mostly slept the rest of the night, kept hitting the morphine button mostly so I would stay asleep.  Day 2 was tough just by virtue of being sore and uncomfortable in the bed.  Only used morphine twice. Got up a few times and walked.  And then Day 3 I got to go home! 

I have not had any hunger yet, been able to get a good deal of fluids AND protein in so far, and am feeling very very blessed for all of that.  Pain has been very manageable.  Just a little sore on one side.  Like everybody else says, it's probably the spot where they did the most work.  I don't even feel the other incisions.

I have been having a low grade fever since yesterday morning (99 to 100) but keep reminding myself that I did have major surgery.  So I'm trying to push a little and then taking it easy.

Anyway, for anybody facing the process this week - or any later time too -- I hope for you the best experience.  It really hasn't been that bad.  And the good news??  Yeah, that darned scale is moving already! Yeehaw!  (and that's after a 6 lb gain from the hospital fluids; so don't worry about that!)

Best wishes ....

Feb 2012:  270
                   Day of surgery:  250.5

Pobearsam7
on 7/15/12 7:43 am
I also had a low grade temp... So I guess that can happen... I'm almost 3 weeks out
mjs620
on 7/15/12 7:45 am
Wonderful news and post! So nice to hear your doing well and that your surgery wasn't to bad....i truely needed to hear this, my surgery is Augsut 6th and im not worried about not waking, im just worried about all the above that can come along with it....Keep up the good work and keep us posted..:)
bluerskies
on 7/15/12 7:53 am
VSG on 06/25/12
 Congratulations on a smooth and complication-free surgery.  I'm happy for you that things are going so well!  Keep up the great work and look forward to hearing about your progress.
 Jessica

KSqtpie
on 7/15/12 7:56 am - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
We were sleeved the same day!! And it sounds like we have had a similar experience. I woke up with a little bit of nausea, but the nurse quickly gave me something in my IV and it went away. Yes, my tummy was sore but the morphine button helped. After coming home, the soreness has gotten better daily. The large incision on the left side where the tummy is removed is the only place that has been tender, kinda like I got punched a couple times. No issues with nausea since coming home, no problems getting liquids or protein in,only 1/2 day of fatigue, and I have lost 9 lbs this week!! In all a success! So, I also hope this helps any newbies getting ready to have
surgery soon
JordynsMommy
on 7/15/12 8:21 am - PA
VSG on 05/10/12
Hello there!! Dr. Williams did my surgery too! Nice to meet you. Congrats and welcome to the loser's bench!

Italian-Princess
on 7/15/12 8:36 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Happy to hear your recovery is moving along nicely!  I gained 8 pounds in the hospital too, but after only 4 days home it was gone and I've been losing since.  I hope it works that way for you as well.

Welcome to the loser's bench!  Good luck on your journey to your new life
punkinhead5
on 7/15/12 8:55 am
VSG on 08/13/12
Thanks, nanarama!

My surgery is tomorrow, and I'm looking for some inspiration and confidence! Congratulations!!! :) I'm hoping and praying my surgery and recovery go well, too! :)
Siobhan
Siobhan
Punkinhead5

Scandrona
on 7/15/12 1:57 pm - Hollister, CA
VSG on 07/30/12
Thanks for posting!  My surgery is on the 30th and I've been scanning through for all the good stories to keep me going!  Glad you are doing so well!!!

"...If one advance confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." 
                                                                                                               --Henry David Thoreau
"Keep Going" --Sensei Jose Miguel Rosas

Most Active