1 Week Post-Op and Down 21 lbs! Yeah!

FloridaVSG
on 7/23/12 10:20 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Well, today is officially a week since surgery and I am feeling GREAT! I was doing my best to post right after surgery but, mentally and physically, could'nt get myself to do it! Although now, at 7 days out, the pain and horror of surgery and immediate recovery are distant memories. NO ONE had prepared me for this level of pain. Amazing! Also to find out that they had repaired an hiatal hernia which was the most painful of all. And let's not even begin to talk about the gas! LOL... Couldn't get it out for the first 3 days and, for those who know, it is the worst feeling in the world. I remember reading the OH forum and seeing people stating that they could not get down their required 64 oz. of fluids per day and saying "that's crazy,  I can do this in a flash!"... Oh No! I've been schooled! LOL... well, let's say that it took me 2 days to down an 8 oz. cup of water... Plus, the protein intake is such a challenge. Everything is a challenge. It is as if you are re-educating yourself to live with a baby's stomach's capacity...

The most awakening feeling is to wake up after surgery and to realize that your relationship with food has been severed. This long-term partner which occupied your mind and engulfed your life has suddenly lost its grip. It is an odd feeling which gives a sense of rebirth. For these first days, food did not exist. And then, it all clicked!... This surgery is not a magic wand... It is indeed a tool that helps you adjust your behavior and adopt a new way of living by physically forcing you to control impulses and giving you a window of opportunity to change your body. My humble goal is to lose at least 75 lbs within the next 6 months and this tool is going to help me! Yes it will! :)

As of date, I still don't have a hunger feeling. I still forcing (TRYING) the water and protein down. I need to do a better job of keeping hydrated. So I'm -21 lbs as of today and I am SUPER excited!!! :)- I'm ON MY WAY!!!!!

Question 1: Did I make the right decision by having this surgery even with all the pain, drama and risks?: YES! - Question 2: Knowing what I know now, would have I made the same decision?: HELLZ YA!!!! lol

Have a superb day guys! :)
Pre-op/HW: 302- SW (7/16/2012): 296 lbs- GW: 160-150 lbs. Month 1: -32 lbs.- Month 2: -16 lbs.
www.theskinnygirlinsideofme.blogspot.com  

full-of-hopen
on 7/23/12 10:34 pm
Thanks for sharing and congratulations on moving forward with your plan!  I am having surgery tomorrow and am excited that my relationship with food has been changing over the past several months as I prepare for a healthier life ahead. The closer I get to surgery I am starting to mourn the loss of my stomach (or most of it); not mourning the change in what I will be eating, but actually feeling sad that I need to have part of my body removed to "save" the rest of my body...don't know if this makes any sense....take care!

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

FloridaVSG
on 7/23/12 10:43 pm, edited 7/23/12 10:45 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Oh yes! I DOES make sense! The gammut of emotions and thoughts we all go through is crazy! Get ready for that feeling of: "WTH did I just do to my body!?" once the surgery pain starts kicking you in the gut... But, trust me, it ALL goes away... You won't see it or feel it then, but remember all the OH supporters who've traveled this road before and who are here for you to answer even the most embarassing questions! :) I still don't know if I would have been as emotionally and mentally prepared as I was without this forum to which I could turn to for questions, expectations, opinions, options, and information... Having lost 21 lbs in a week is a rude awakening. I would have NEVER been able to do this without my sleeve! Well, spefically knowing that these 21 lbs are FOREVER gone!!

I am wishing you a great surgery and a speedy recovery! Hang in there! It all gets better, day by day! You will be FINE! We are all here waiting for you on the Loser's Bench!
full-of-hopen
on 7/23/12 10:55 pm
Thanks FloridaVSG!!!
Barb

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

mjs620
on 7/23/12 11:42 pm
Thank you for this post! You said it well.....Congrats on your wls and weight loss!  I'm on my pre-op diet and its not real fun but this will pass.... surgery is scheduled for August 6th....im very excited to get this done and start my new journey in life....
FloridaVSG
on 7/24/12 9:58 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Thanks a million! we're all here fo you... Best of luck on your surgery! Speedy recovery!
Adhara
on 7/24/12 12:57 am - FL
 it's pretty awesome! I'm 5 days post op and I totally know the feeling.

Congrats!!
  Follow me on tumblr:  http://newnegativespace.tumblr.com/  VSG : 7/19/2012

FloridaVSG
on 7/24/12 10:01 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Thanks a million Adhara!
Joolya
on 7/24/12 9:43 pm, edited 7/24/12 9:44 pm - MD
VSG on 07/17/12
So happy to hear of your success. I had an appt to remove my drain one week post op and was destroyed when I got on that scale and hadn't lost any weight. My drain wasnt removed because still releasing a lot of fluid. Go back Thursday and I hope to be able to report SOME weight loss.
FloridaVSG
on 7/24/12 10:10 pm - FL
VSG on 07/16/12
Best of luck on your appointment! Don't stress too much about the scale! It will drive you crazy. Actually, now that I'm 275, I've decided to put mine away until my 1st month surgiversary. I don't want to be ruled by the mind tricks it plays on you. all will be well for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views