any1 stuck in a rut post vsg?

fatmackn
on 8/1/12 4:50 pm - Adelaide, Australia
Hi there im considering all my optionns for wls surgery including the sleeve, gastric bypass or the duodenal switch surgery. I have a fairly low BMI at 40 and am wanting to loose about a 100 pounds.

If i can achieve that with the sleeve gaestrctomy surgery alone that would be ideal as the other surgeries are more invasive. I just dont want to loose say 70 or 80 pounds still having 20 or 30 pounds left where i wouldnt really qaulify for revision surgery to a bypass so in a way i dont wana get stuck. what do you guys think, thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 8/1/12 5:15 pm
Patients with lower BMI do better with VSG than patients with higher BMI.  Having said this, all sleeves are not created equally.  Please do your research and find a surgeon that makes a tight sleeve and follows a strict eating plan.  If you do this, your chances of hitting goal and maintaining a are fantastic with the sleeve.  If you are willing to make permanent changes to your eating and your thinking about food and if you truly think of the sleeve as a tool, not as a panacea, you will do great.  The sleeve will not do all the work for you, but it will make your work much easier.  You will still have to be careful about what you eat but this time, you will actually be able to lose the weight and keep it off.  It's like having the right tool for the job, but you still have to do all the work, it's just much easier.  So to recap:

1) Choose a great surgeon with a fantastic track record who has done over 300 sleeves and makes tight sleeves.
2) Follow a consirvative aftercare program. 
3) Do the mental work to change your relationship with food during your early losing phase, when it's easy to make those changes.

You should be golden.

I lost 97 lbs. in 6.5 months and have kept it off for 2.5 years.  I would personally not have had any surgery if the sleeve was not available to me as I believe that malabsorbtion of nutrients is a very bad long term plan.  Also, regain is quite high with RNY and DS has always seemed like overkill to me for people with low BMI.  I think the sleeve was the right choice for me. 
fatmackn
on 8/1/12 11:22 pm - Adelaide, Australia
wow i cant believe u havent gained any weight back in 2 and a half years thats good i just dont want to get something that isnt gona do it i mean my waiste size is massive 55 inches, and my ideal weist would be 34 (no excess skin) so do u think the vsg is powerful enough to take of 21 inches of belly fat providing i stick to the right diet n exercise etc.
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/12 1:04 am
Yes I do, without a doubt.  I have friends in my surgeons support group who have lost over 200 pounds and are keeping it off.  You can do it if you pick a great surgeon and follow the program.  I am certain of it because I have seen it.  However, if you are a heavyweight, it becomes even more important to get a surgeon that has had great success with heavyweights and to follow a strict program for the first year or so.
Shagdoll
on 8/2/12 1:04 am
My surgeon didn't try to convince me to have one surgery over another. When I told him I wanted the sleeve, he was supportive but then told me if I only lost 70% of my excess weight, he would revise me to a bypass. Thank you but no thank you.
I am kinda struggling to get these last 10 pounds or so off but I've decided to just let it come off in time and not kill myself to lose that weight right now. I am doing my best with my diet and exercise. It's all I can do but I do have faith I will get to goal soon.
If you choose the sleeve and are open to a revision later, of course that is your choice but I do believe most of us can get to goal and lose all our excess weight if we put the work into it.
Best of luck to you in your WL journey.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

pcannedy
on 8/2/12 1:30 am - Sacramento, CA
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views